Best Jobs to pick up Gossip

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TisMyself

Hi All

More a theoretical question. I’m putting together a list of jobs in which professionals find themselves in an excellent position to pick up gossip in relation to the town or city in which they are based. So far I’ve come up with the following. If anyone knows any others, I’m all ears.

Thanks for all responses.

Bar Workers: As some people like to gossip on nights out under the influence of alcohol, bar workers are potentially in a position to over hear things.

laundry workers: you would be amazed at the stories people tell

Hair dressers

Bank Managers for peoples financial situations

Lawyers for peoples legal/marital/financial issues

Priests: Confession

Nurses, based on an Aunt of mine, and what she hasn't learnt by drilling her Patients and Colleagues she must surely make up because she has many an incredible tale to tell.

Anyone in the Hospitality Industry.

Librarians - we hear it all (people think if they are whispering then it isn't heard)

nurses have great stories, gardai have the low down on a lot of goings on but i imagine teachers get it all from children in their classes. in our place if you want to know something ask the cleaner.

Taxi Drivers! That book "Tales in a Rearview Mirror" written by a Dublin based taxi was very good, very funny. I find that many taxi drivers are great conversationalists.

Solicitors do hear a good deal of private business and personal information but don't and can't pass it on.

... I find that many taxi drivers are great conversationalists.
for one-way conversations - "Ah, howya, how's it goin'? Did ya see the match last nigh'? I cudda scorin' that meself, how did he miss it? Isn't the traffic despra? The weather is awful, nearly as bad as the govermint and the banks.. don't get me started on the banks, I don't use dem meself, cash is king, wha'? I know ya want to go to the aiport but would ya mind if I went via Tallaght, it'll ony take 5 minutes extra?...etc"

for one-way conversations - "Ah, howya, how's it goin'? Did ya see the match last nigh'? I cudda scorin' that meself, how did he miss it? Isn't the traffic despra? The weather is awful, nearly as bad as the govermint and the banks.. don't get me started on the banks, I don't use dem meself, cash is king, wha'? I know ya want to go to the aiport but would ya mind if I went via Tallaght, it'll ony take 5 minutes extra?...etc"

:D

I always think of the late Ronnie Drew when I hear things like this.
No fan of small talk, supposedly the first thing out of Ronnie's mouth on entering a taxi:

"The airport. And no talkin."

:)

I quite like chatting to taxi drivers you can have the maddest conversations, have shared many a laugh filled journey ending in them telling me I'm sound and letting me off on some of the fare!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back