CELTA v Tefl 120 hour combined course

G

gemineye

Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advise regarding the above courses. I have just recently lost my job and have decided that now might be a good time to change career.

As I have always fancied teaching and living abroad appeals now more than ever I am now looking into teaching English as a foreign language. I have spent a lot of time on google at this stage and I have come to the conclusion that CELTA is the most respected and recognised qualification.
HOWEVER it costs €1500 and is full time for a month. The thing is, im not sure that I can afford €1,500- it would be a real struggle to raise that amount of money.

The TEFL 120 hour conbined course is only €516 at the moment (until the end of January) but I am wondering if that would be sufficient for teaching English abroad and in Ireland.

I was wondering if anybody has done the TEFL course and what they made of it. I really want to do this but I don't want to pay €516 for a qualification that is not well recognised.

I have a degree so I should be ok from that end.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Geminiiii

Why not contact a few organisations that you would like to work for abroad and ask them what's acceptable? Sure-fire approach.....

Geminiii, do a search under this section. There are links to some interesting sites.
I've been looking into doing a TEFL course also and from what I read it's absolutely vital that you do a recognised one. I've been thinking of studying abroad as I want to brush up my Spanish at the same time.

If doing one in Ireland make sure it is ACELS accredited. CELTA is definitely the most worldwide recognized.

Good luck !

I did a tefl course a few yrs back.it was 9-5 over 3 days and at the end i got my merit on the certificate.300 euro.Its a well know cert.If you want the name and address of who to contact just let me know

I did the 100 hr TEFL course quite some time ago, it's quite intensive, but then it's much less expensive than the CELTA.

Sad reality is that there is no shortage of EFL teachers in Ireland, anyway, and always a big demand in China, Japan and Korea.

Really you can't absorb that much on the TEFL courses as really the only way to become a teacher - is by teaching in the classroom. So, I would advise you to save the 900 euros and take the cheaper course.

Good luck

If you're serious about it you should do the CELTA course, that will open many more doors. AFAIK you need to do an interview to get on a CELTA course and they won't take you unless they think you'll do well.

Back