Dressing for an Interview

Rois

I have an interview tomorrow (Saturday) for a job I really want. The interview is a combination of interview/competency tests. I have read an excellent post on this forum about Competency Based Interviews and feel prepared for that.

My question is however, as the interview is on a Saturday and in a hotel (rather than the office itself), should I still dress in a formal work suit or would it be acceptable to present in a smart dress and jacket?

The nature of the job itself would not involve having to dress formally on a day to day basis. I will take any advice on board thanks.

If you don't wear a suit you risk turning up and seeing that everyone else IS wearing a suit - then you'll look like a tool.

I don't actually own a suit because I don't like them. I wear trousers/skirt, blouse, cardis mostly. When I'm 'dressing up' for work I wear a dress and jacket or skirt, blouse and jacket.

Last edited:
I would suggest the suit, even though as you say the job doesnt demand formal clothing I would still think it looks well for an interview. Very best of luck with the interview!

should I still dress in a formal work suit or would it be acceptable to present in a smart dress and jacket?

Wear whatever you think would be appropriate if it wasn't the weekend.

If you're a bloke, I'd avoid the dress and jacket option, regardless of how tempting it may seem.:)

Thanks for all the replies. The suit seems to be the attire of choice, so I'll go
with that!

You got me thinking about an interview I did a few years ago for grade IV's in the HSE. The interview was a compentecy based one and a young girl who had just finished her degree presented in a black sleeveless top. It was a lovely outfit for a night in a pub but unsuitable for an interview.

As it was a compentency interview we did not have a mechamism to deduct marks.

She did a good interview oteherwise but was not in the running for a post as we interviewed approx 150 people.

Back