Home Home Ins Quote is now like Motor Insurance Quote.

pudds

I live in a small 3 bed end tce town house, and not in any high risk area.

Last year I took out insurance with FBD for around €150 I think it was.

So with a bit of index linking would perhaps be around €180 this year.

My renewal quote reads as follows.

Standard Premium €499.37:eek:

Less Policy Discounts:

Age discount - €74.90
NCD discount - € 212.24

Premium to Pay €212.24

Where did they get this from Standard Premium €499.37 is it just a marketing ploy to con you into believing that your getting great discounts.

I live in a small 3 bed end tce town house, and not in any high risk area.

Last year I took out insurance with FBD for around €150 I think it was.

So with a bit of index linking would perhaps be around €180 this year.

My renewal quote reads as follows.

Standard Premium €499.37:eek:

Less Policy Discounts:

Age discount - €74.90
NCD discount - € 212.24

Premium to Pay €212.24

Where did they get this from Standard Premium €499.37 is it just a marketing ploy to con you into believing that your getting great discounts.

It doesn't really matter for your purposes how they package it up/present it. It's all down to the bottom line figure. Sample a few others giving them the very same criteria and basing on the same excesses - general policy excess and water escape excess, same contents cover, etc. - and see how they compare.

I don't really have any loyalty to any one insurer - but FBD have been pretty consistent for me - cover and price-wise...

I think house insurance premiums have shot up.
I received my brother's house insurance quote (I'm looking after things for him as he is ill) and it had shot up from 340 last year to 420 this year. I went online, looked at increased excess, tweaking a few other things, nothing was bringing it down. Just for interest's sake then I did an online quote for our own house, which I got insured last March for 230 and using the same details (same house!) and same insurer the quote came up as 360.....

Dreading next year's renewal....

Some of the brokers have minimum premiums and can't or won't quote below that level e.g. 123.ie. All I can suggest is to shop around.

I placed car and house insurance with AIB (AXA broker) who quoted well below the renewal prices of my existing insurers or any new quotes I asked for. They are easy to do business with and don't apply any finance charges if you wish to pay by direct debit.

Yes, I know they are bankers, but ...

It's all down to the bottom line figure. Sample a few others giving them the very same criteria and basing on the same excesses - general policy excess and water escape excess, same contents cover, etc. - and see how they compare.

They don't generally compare and that is why this is not an easy exercise. I don't believe there are two matching products available on household insurance in Ireland from company to company.

You would need to be careful that by always choosing the lowest bottom line figure, if you do need to make a claim, you could get a surprise if you dont compare in detail the policy limits and exess

They don't generally compare and that is why this is not an easy exercise. I don't believe there are two matching products available on household insurance in Ireland from company to company.

You would need to be careful that by always choosing the lowest bottom line figure, if you do need to make a claim, you could get a surprise if you dont compare in detail the policy limits and exess

I try and get them to base it on the same general excess as the others and same contents, give them all the same criteria and also compare excess for water damage.

of course there are no two policies the same - but does this not take care of the bulk of it to make comparison reasonably accurate?

I try and get them to base it on the same general excess as the others and same contents, give them all the same criteria and also compare excess for water damage.

of course there are no two policies the same - but does this not take care of the bulk of it to make comparison reasonably accurate?

I would agree with the proviso that u read the exclusions v carefully.

Back