Lied in job interview about previous salary....

suziesu

Hi I need some advice, I recently left my job as I was being severely underpaid and it was a terrible company to work for. During an interview I said I still worked in my old job as I thought it would look bad to have left without another job to go to. I also said I earned 8k more than I did, as thats how much that kind of a role would usually get.

The interview went well, so they have offered me the job matching that salary, I am now worried that they will see on my P45 I left three weeks earlier than I said and that I didn't earn as much as I had said. Will this matter? ....

When do you expect to start. Luckily for you it is towards the end of the year. Forward all of the P45 to Revenue instead of to your new employer. They will forward the necessary info to your new employer. You will probably be taxed on a week one /month one basis until the end of the year. Then ask for a balancing statement and you will get any tax due to you.
If you are moving to a large organisation or even a small you where the payroll is probably outsourced

I am due to start Monday week...so are you saying that my new employers won't ask for my P45? Will i have to show they any records of my tax etc?

Just follow the instructions on the P45 for getting it amended by Revenue and when they send it back to you can give it to your employer then. If the company is not very small in terms of headcount the chances are even if you gave them the unmodified P45 then nobody might notice your lies or raise any eyebrows over them. Even with a modified P45 a new employer may still be able to infer certain information about your past salary (e.g. if you have reached the employee PRSI exemption threshold etc.). Other than getting the P45 amended it seems to me that it is a pointless exercise to be worrying unduly about this issue at this stage.

they have offered me the job matching that salary

Suggesting they already know you lied -- otherwise why would they offer you what you're already on, and why would you accept?

Suggesting they already know you lied -- otherwise why would they offer you what you're already on, and why would you accept?

My old job was really far commute, wheras this new one is very close to where i live...i said that was my main reason for leaving...

Some people do move jobs even if it means taking the same or even a lower salary. People move for a variety of reasons and not just salary/benefits (although these are obviously extremely important). I've done it myself in the past.

Post crossed with suziesu's.

I'd be more worried about lying about the dates of your previous employment than the salary. If they look for any kind of reference from your last employer, you could be in trouble. Did they mention references at all?

I'd be more worried about lying about the dates of your previous employment than the salary. If they look for any kind of reference from your last employer, you could be in trouble. Did they mention references at all?

Yes, I gave them two other references...i only finished my job on the 17 of this month..and starting next monday...not that big of a gap to worry about i didnt think?!

There is no real point in worrying about either issue (other than getting the P45 amended) in my opinion since there is nothing you can do now other than brazen it out (unless you actually want to come clean or something?).

they have offered me the job matching that salary

When you say that they are matching 'that salary', do you mean the salary that you were actually earning or the salary that you said you were earning, i.e. actual salary +8k?

in most cases the person doing the salary will take your p45 and was likely not on the interview panel. Don't worry :)

Our office manager told me that my new secretary was not quite stating the truth in the interview regarding her prior salary.....I wouldn't mind so much if she was particularly good but i am not convinced.

realistically, the person who will be doing payroll is more than likely not the person in the interview so i think it will be grand. i really wouldn't worry. i was in exact same situation before and it never became an issue.

i wouldnt worry about it your management will probably lie to u way more than that over the next few years ;)

Definitely don't worry about it. As previous posters have pointed out the person doing the wages will most definitely not have interviewed you or be privy to what you said re your previous salary.
Unless they're extremely odd and have plenty of time on their hands (which anyone doing a payroll won't be) they will definitely not take the time to pull your P45 apart and work out your old weekly gross and your date of leaving.
Yes, get your P45 ammended, and the payroll people will not have it for the first pay day in the new job and when they get it from you they'll just bang in the details without a second thought

Would it be worth the OP time going on emergancy tax for December and getting a blank balancing cert in January (when everything has been reset,all totals 0)... then claiming back the emergancy tax from the revenue directly ?

I would try not to worry about it. I know that any of my friends when looking for new jobs have embellished what they are currently earning. Your new employer would not have offered you the extra 8k if they did not feel that it was the going rate for the position. I went for a job a couple of years ago through an agency. The lady I dealt with asked what money I was looking for and I told her 2k above my then salary. She said that she would be asking for 5k more than that as she knows that is the going rate and that this company would be willing to offer (she said it would be a normal amount for them to offer- in fairness I was earning very little in my previous position). I felt guilty but the lady in the agency did all the money negotiations and I got an extra 7k in total upon moving jobs. I was thrilled and just looked at it as a huge incentive to prove my worth in the company.

I wouldn't worry about it - you can say that you took unpaid leave, therefore the difference between what you actually earned on your P45 & your salary.

But even you lied - what odds, they are paying you what they think you are worth.

Back