MBA vs. MBS

Thanks for the response obella.
Do any of the MBAs focus more on entrepreneurial activity than career development. My preference would be to engage in the former. Or are they all equal in that way?

While some subjects in the MBA can be taught from a corporate mindset, this is not to say that you cannot turn them to your benefit in an entrepreneurial perspective. I did my MBA in Smurfit, and in starting my business post MBA, I can say I learned something in most modules that benefited me in the great wide world of entrepreneurship. In addition I was able to select electives in entrepreneurship and new venture finance (and 1-2 other courses along that vein were available)
I will say this however for the entrepreneurial courses - if it hadn't been for these I wouldn't have taken the plunge and left my well paid job to pursue my new venture in a completely new industry. the people I met and the ideas I developed led me to resign by beginning november, and five months later I'm thrilled at having grasped the nettle

I am 95% decided to go with one for Manchester Business School. The prices are transparent, they are fixed for the course once you start, and there is a 10% discount for early registration. I reckon it will work out approx 25% cheaper.
QUOTE]

As far as I am aware, you also get all your books and study materials included in the price from Manchester Bus School.

JR - do you know how many workshops you will need to attend over a calender year? From what I have read it appears to be two 6-day periods, one in Mar and then sept. Do you know if this is correct? its a shame that the institute of bankers dont offer the course anymore

A cornerstone of the Manchester MBA seems to be this 'Manchester Method' concept, which is basically team work I think. Sounds reasonable.
However, does anyone know how this works when doing a distance learning MBA, i.e. how are group projects handled?

I found the advisors in Manchester to be very helpful, and they can give you the details on the project stage. You'll find a phone number on the website.

Went to the Smurfit open day a couple of weeks ago. Looks good. Plenty of electives which I like as I like the idea of tailoring/directing the course based on interests. Is there a Trinity and DCU open day any time soon (I checked websites but couldn't find anything).

Well all I know is that UCD and Trinity are in the Financial Times top 100 list, and Griffith is not. I guess this means better lectures, material, opportunities, etc with these colleges.

Scatriona

When choosing an MBA, it is essential to check that thay are accredited by at least the AMBA. It is also better if they have the EQUIS accreditation.

TCD, UCD, Open University etc are accredited. Check the websites for the Association of MBAs (AMBA) for approved suppliers.

SM

When doing an MBA the accreditation(s) a college has and rankings surveys - FT, Economist etc is v important. More so if you are a recent grad and have less experience to show on your CV; employer will look to academics, sporting achievements etc.

It will vary with industry of course but I tend to think that in Ireland employers tend to be relatively egalitarian and don't put that much store on the reputations of different Universities and colleges. Internationally the story is revered and name recognition of a college is much more important and can be a deciding factor if you get an interview or not.

My personal view is that I would not do an MBA from a private college (I should clarify an Irish private college in case someone wishes to point out Harvard is also private). Just as given the choice I would not do a primary degree at one.

Looking at options in Ireland; Trinity do a well regarded 1 year full time MBA and UCD have a good executive 2 year MBA.

However if doing a full time MBA I would go abroad - international experience is alway a bonus.

Back