Can I scan receipts and discard the originals?

whytis

As the subject says: is it good enough to keep scanned copies of receipts for business expenses, or do you need to keep the originals?

Yes afraid so, you will need originals for 6 years followed the end of the tax year

Does anyone find that some receipts seem designed for the ink to fade very quickly ? I suspect this is done on purpose.

No, a lot of till receipts are generated on thermal paper, there is no printed ink on them.
If you keep paper out of sunlight the ink will last longer.

No, a lot of till receipts are generated on thermal paper, there is no printed ink on them.
If you keep paper out of sunlight the ink will last longer.

Thanks . Thermal paper explains a lot about what has happened to carefully stored receipts. Even for big ticket items like a laptop etc I have found that if something has gone wrong I am bringing an almost unreadable receipt into the store as proof of the complaint. This seems kind of a strange situation. If something is guaranteed for a year then why cant you expect the ''ink'' on a receipt to last for a year too especially if a photocopy of the receipt is not accepted ?

Hi there

Revenue have recently issed an ebrief on this -

[broken link removed]

'It is now no longer a requirement to retain the paper originals of any third party record where an electronic copy of the original record is generated, recorded and stored in accordance with the information technology and procedural requirements as published'

www.accountantonline.ie

I always copy receipts for guarantees, and attach the original to the copy. You would think with modern technology that this would not be necessary

Back