Rusty Frying Pan

Hurling Fan

Hi, my frying pan is very rusty. Usually give it a wash before using it and its fine but now beginning to think it's probably not the best to be using it. Don't want to chuck it yet as it is a fairly good one and very heavy. Anyone know any solutions? Thanks

Hi, my frying pan is very rusty. Usually give it a wash before using it and its fine but now beginning to think it's probably not the best to be using it. Don't want to chuck it yet as it is a fairly good one and very heavy. Anyone know any solutions? Thanks
Clean all the rust off it using a scouring pad, dry it thoroughly and always lightly oil it with cooking/olive oil before putting it away. This should keep it from rusting in future.

I used these instructions for a Wok and it never rusted could work for your pan
Just purchased a new wok? It needs to be 'proved' before cooking commences. 'To prove' a wok is the process that makes it non-stick and protects it from oxidisation (rusting)
Method:
Place 2 - 3 ladles (approx 300-500ml) of vegetable oil in your wok. Place the wok over a high heat. As the metal heats gently rotate the wok so that the oil comes into contact with all of its surfaces. Your new wok should begin to turn black / gun-blue. Once the wok is black / gun-blue turn off the heat, allow the oil to cool completely (wait 30-60 minutes) before discarding or recycling.
Your wok is now 'proved' and ready to use
(A word of caution; once the oil begins to smoke reduce the applied heat. If you continue to heat oil well past the smoking stage it will reach its 'flash point', the point wherein it combusts. So for those of you who are accident prone, please keep a fire blanket nearby!)

Another that works is to cover the base of the pan with sea salt or coarse salt and heat. Keep agitating about and keep going until the salt begins to brown. Then empty and rinse (once cooled).

It's not as harsh on the pan as a scourer and will last a few cooks. Also removes after taste/smells from any previous cooking.

I assume these suggestions only apply to pans without a non stick surface?

Sounds crazy but it works - rub the pan with the cut side of a potato leave for half an hour or so & rinse with a plastic scourer then season the pan with cooking oil & a little salt - heat gently & leave to cool - rub clean with paper towels

Back