Make an oil tank look pretty?

Abbica

Hi, our oil tank, two of them to be exact side by side, supported on top of grey cement bloxes is plonked to the left of my kitchen window. I am over the trauma now after coming home a few months ago to see it there, worst of all, we have a view and it is ruined, in a way.
So, deep breath, have to make it look pretty and I suppose the old trellis build around it for a start and plant some climbers up the trellis??? Is this the best idea and if so, what quick growing climber will I plant please that doesn't shed its leaves in winter, preferrably flowers from spring to autumn. Any advice much appreciated.

I suppose the old trellis build around it for a start and plant some climbers up the trellis???

Well it's certainly what I usually see anyway. Can't think of much more you could do really.

Evergreen clematis is probably the classic non-shedding climber I'd say.

i'd put a few different climbers. Honeysuckle (woodbine :)) is lovely and has the obvious benefit of a gorgeous fragrance. You can get different varieties of this, i have a lovely one with an orange tint.

it will die back in winter but i think if you have at least one evergreen then put loads of other climbers around for the variety/colour/scents

jasmine is another.

have you considered covering the tanks completely with some kind of structure? maybe block walls painted white to reflect light, with climers growing up the walls. Then you could plant the roof with moss or alpines.

Obviously this would be a bigger, more expensive job but it would also secure and protect your tanks.

Ivy is fast growing but obviously doesnt have flower.

Sweetpea will climb well and fast, however they don't last long and will die back. What about planting small trees or bushes in front of the trellis too?

Thanks for all your advice, the wall idea is clever but cheap and cheerful for now but from your suggestions, think will settle on the woodbine honeysuckle, find out if this one is evergreen as some honeysuckle is? Then as you say, intertwine this with something else. My favourite flower is sweetpea by chance but if I plant them around will they re appear every year, as long as I look after them? also Jasmine? Think the trellis would work well with these. Evergreen clematis I will save for my windbreaker trellis.

i'd put a few different climbers. Honeysuckle (woodbine :)) is lovely and has the obvious benefit of a gorgeous fragrance. You can get different varieties of this, i have a lovely one with an orange tint.

it will die back in winter but i think if you have at least one evergreen then put loads of other climbers around for the variety/colour/scents

jasmine is another.

have you considered covering the tanks completely with some kind of structure? maybe block walls painted white to reflect light, with climers growing up the walls. Then you could plant the roof with moss or alpines.

This sounds like a lovely plan and one that I have tried- the only thing is one climber is going to win the battle over the others- and none of them ever really took off in terms of growth. so if you're looking to cover it you're probably better off just using one climber.

This could be down to the types of climbers I used...but just to share the experience.

Obviously this would be a bigger, more expensive job but it would also secure and protect your tanks.

I think this sounds like a lovely idea and one that I have tried myself- the only downside is that all the climbers seem to compete with each other and none really take off growth wise (in my experience anyway) - so it might be better sticking with one climber if you're hoping to cover the oil tank..

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advice, the wall idea is clever but cheap and cheerful for now but from your suggestions, think will settle on the woodbine honeysuckle, find out if this one is evergreen as some honeysuckle is? Then as you say, intertwine this with something else. My favourite flower is sweetpea by chance but if I plant them around will they re appear every year, as long as I look after them? also Jasmine? Think the trellis would work well with these. Evergreen clematis I will save for my windbreaker trellis.

Nasturtium is another beautiful plant that definitely seeds itself. i had it in hanging baskets and planters last year and when i was potting them up last week found loads and loads of seedheads. I think i started to harvest them last year, but can't find them now..have a look at this thread regarding sweet pea propagation:http://www.plantswap.net/forum/f2/sweetpea-vine-propagation-1528/

there's nothing to say that your tank can't be moved to a more suitable location in your garden 'out of view'. all ye have to do is build a new plinth and extend/cut short the supply line to boiler

Oh I also thought, what about a bamboo fence panel?

You should look in Aldi, they have loads of special offers designed for covering an oil tank, with trellises and panels.

Can you not move it? We moved ours and it wasn't that big of a job. All done in a day.

Sorry to burst your bubble but
A) you oil tank(s) should be a minimum of 1.8m from any opening into your house unless a fire rated barrier is in between
B) also if beside you outer wall a clearance of 1.8m from top of your oil tank to you roof eaves must be met (again fire proofing if not)
C) as you have joined two tanks!! There must be a non return valve fitted to the outlet of both tanks before they join
D) a minimum clearance from both tank to wall and tank to tank of. 100mm should be observed to allow tank flex when filling
E) you tank support also sounds suspect
F) and as for the covering ideas given above there should be a minimum clearence of 600mm around your tank for routine inspection on your yearly boiler service to check for possible fatigue or leak etc if not when/if it did leak/split your insurance company will not cover you and as a customer I know just found out had to remove the soil around the burst tank as designated toxic waste (cost 12000euro)

and as for the covering ideas given above there should be a minimum clearence of 600mm around your tank for routine inspection on your yearly boiler service to check for possible fatigue or leak etc if not when/if it did leak/split your insurance company will not cover you and as a customer I know just found out had to remove the soil around the burst tank as designated toxic waste (cost 12000euro)

yikes! nasty.:eek:

should all domestic tanks not be bunded then?

There is no 'requirement' for ALL domestic tanks to be bunded in Ireland or the UK (with exceptions of some of the channel islands)

It all depends on the tanks 'risk assesment' which looks at things like, how close to an open water source the tank is etc.

But in MHO, yes I would like to see the regs changed so al tanks are bunded,
but this would only solve the 'leak' issue, not any of the fire issues.

Jeez louise, scare tactics alert, all I want is a creeper suggestion. We can't, don't want to move it as a) money b)who needs the hassle after building a house and c)within appropriate distance from the house so we are compliant, we are in an open field anyway, so we will see it.
And on a lighter note, think we will plant honeysuckle and jasmine, two tough climbers.

I have an evergreen clematis montana covering mine, it has a lovely white flower that is just appearing now and will flower for most of the summer. It is covered for about 7 years now with no problems and people are always admiring the clematis and are amazed to discover that it is covering the oil tank!.

Jeez louise, scare tactics alert, all I want is a creeper suggestion. We can't, don't want to move it as a) money b)who needs the hassle after building a house and c)within appropriate distance from the house so we are compliant, we are in an open field anyway, so we will see it.
And on a lighter note, think we will plant honeysuckle and jasmine, two tough climbers.

i was in a garden centre yesterday and saw an evergreen honeysuckle. It was called "Lonicera Henryii".

:)

Thanks for thosse two suggestions, they are both beautiful. Would you recommend combining these, one on either side, so clematis montana and the honeysuckle? or do you think just plant one and leave it so. I have a trellis in a windy path also, so planting a jasmine plant, evergreen also I think. Solanum Jasminoides.

Back