Recruitment Consultant needs help

Bids08

Hi,

I am currently working as a recruitment consultant, really enjoying my job at the moment. I originally came from working in the pharmaceutical industry, working in QC labs, i hated my job and wanted to get out of the whole 'lab rat' environment that many QC people suffer from. My qualification from college was an honours degree in science related discipline.

However now I am starting to think further ahead and am wondering what good courses are out there for a person, working as a recruitment consultant, that will not just help them progress within recruitment but will allow them work in differnet areas if I decide in later years.

I am thinking possible something like a Business Studies degree in Management? But is this course not being done by LITERALLY everyone now? :(

I would really appreciate it a bit of info on this as i'm looking at courses but dont want to get wrapped in the wrong choice:confused:

you really need to do something in the HR field either a degree or a CIPD course, it will help if you want to break into HR further down the line also give you further credibility as a recruiter if working in an agency...

good luck,

you really need to do something in the HR field either a degree or a CIPD course, it will help if you want to break into HR further down the line also give you further credibility as a recruiter if working in an agency...

good luck,

For a recruiter in an agency, a CIPD qualification is really of no use at all. Recruitment is a sales job, its totally separate to HR. I've been in recruitment nearly 10 years and its a very common misconception that they are the same or similar, when they really are miles apart.

If you were trying to further your career, I would look at sales courses where you develop your telephone communication skills, time management courses and marketing skills.

Thanks for your comment Legend but i agree aith dieter1 above, HR and recruitment are 2 totally opposite areas, totally different skill set required. I was thinking of doing a qualification in sales but feel it may be a waste of time as sales is more r less something u r able to do or not, having the thoery etc is totally different when putting it to practice.

Still no closer to deciding on a good course, a lot of people are saying that there is really no need to do one but i am just thinking for the future

Sorry: I cannot offer expert advice.

But have I just seen a green shoot? Somebody in recruitment being optimistic about the future. I truly hope your optimism is justified.

I'll be even happier when you are asked to recruit staff for estate agents.

Sorry: I cannot offer expert advice.

But have I just seen a green shoot? Somebody in recruitment being optimistic about the future. I truly hope your optimism is justified.

I'll be even happier when you are asked to recruit staff for estate agents.

Padriag, not once in my post did i mention anything about the future of anthing only my own future, and i didnt mean anything about optimism, if u actualy read it clearly i want to have a back up for myself should i decide to get out of recruitment, which i dont plan on for quite some time to be honest.

So just to reiterate, please dont try to patronise my profession, considering i am asking a simple question about furthering my education, not because i am feeling the brunt of current economic climate, which i am not, but because i am simply thinking ahead and not letting myself be brought down with the depressing pessimistic outlook the vast majority of people out there have.

Padriag, not once in my post did i mention anything about the future of anthing only my own future, and i didnt mean anything about optimism, if u actualy read it clearly i want to have a back up for myself should i decide to get out of recruitment, which i dont plan on for quite some time to be honest.

So just to reiterate, please dont try to patronise my profession, considering i am asking a simple question about furthering my education, not because i am feeling the brunt of current economic climate, which i am not, but because i am simply thinking ahead and not letting myself be brought down with the depressing pessimistic outlook the vast majority of people out there have.

I am sorry if you were offended. That was not my intention.

I saw a positive note in your post and, indeed, you repeat it in your response to what I said. All I was doing was trying to affirm that positive attitude, and adding what I thought was a light-hearted jest.

I don't hold any type of work in low regard except for professional crime. There might be individual members of any profession I hold in low regard, but that's a different matter.

Back