Advice on putting down a new lawn.

sum81

hi,

I bought my home 2 years ago and the lawn that was sewn is really bad. its really soft and very uneven. i want to put down a new lawn and dont know if i should dig it all up and get a roll out lawn ot kill the grass and sew a new lawn myself. my next door neighbour dug hers up and put a new lawn down last summer but it has already started to sink. advice anyone?

If its really soft then it may not be well drained. Digging it up and starting afresh is probably the best option. If, when you dig it up, you find that the topsoil is of poor quality you should dump it and import new soil. Roll out turf would be more expensive than spending a few hours raking the soil and setting seed.

Hi,

soil often takes time to settle and will sink down a bit. I would agree with baldyman27 though and suggest that your soil may need to be improved. I think that you can get soil improving products from good hardware stores that you can rake in. Also maybe there may be a large amount of moss growing in the garden which can cause the ground to feel soft to walk on. Again if this is the case you can get ammonium phosphate (i think) to put on it.

... Also maybe there may be a large amount of moss growing in the garden which can cause the ground to feel soft to walk on. Again if this is the case you can get ammonium phosphate (i think) to put on it.

No, moss grows in lawns because of poor drainage and lack of sunlight / aeration; eliminating the moss doesn't solve the underlying problems.

hi,

just did a quick search on the net and found this site that might help you a bit
[broken link removed]

Hope you get your problem resolved.

Back