Smoke Filled Kitchen

tweety07

I hope someone can help with this. Have a range in the kitchen but it's constantly leaving out smoke around the kitchen resulting in 1. discoloured wallpaper and more frustrating 2. smelly clothes (which dry on railings overhead). Have contemplated changing the range but I fear that the same problem will persist. Does anyone have the same problem and know how it could be fixed? It's especially bad when the fire is starting up - the only way to prevent the smoke is to have the fire going full blaze at all times

When did you have chimney cleaned last?
Is the outlet high enough on the roof to allow the smoke & fumes to be drawn out?

Do you have debris on the top that could be burning? You need to keep the tops really clean or else it will burn and smoke.

Does all your 'doors' (I dunno what else to call them) fit snugly? If theres gaps, these too can cause smoke.

As another poster said, whens the last time you cleaned your chimney?

Chimney, surfaces, etc. may need cleaning as may the spaces for heat circulation within the stove. There are removeable panels and long medieval-looking scrapers, gouges and brushes to facilitate this.

The rope-like seals under the top plate and around the fire and ash-doors may also need replacing.

Chimney has been cleaned numerous times and literally the next day there's smoke again. The range is quite old. The smoke comes out of where you lift the lid to put in the fuel no where else. Would it be something to do with a down draught or something? The range itself is cleaned on a regular basis with brushes, long rods etc.

There is no rope seal around the plate that is lifted up to put in the fuel.

Back