It's happened again.

A

Age25

I have been working for a company for 4 months. The owner approached me and handed me a dismissal letter, stating that he is giving me two weeks notice. My contract says that I am supposed to give/receive one months notice. Must he pay me for the month?

if it states in your contract that you are entitled to two weeks notice then this what you should get, make sure there is not a clause around your probationary period (if you have one) that your contract can be terminated with a weeks notice..

Sorry to hear your news. Note that if your employer refuses to pay up, there is a scheme run by Dept of Enterprise whereby they pay you directly for the minimum notice period and they chase the employer. I'm not sure what exactly the minimum notice period would be in your circumstances.

Does his contract with me mean anything in law.

I used this scheme with my previous employer that's why I say "its happened again". Because I was less than 2 years with my previous employer I was paid 1 weeks notice under the scheme. But he went wallop.
In this latest case my new employer didn't go wallop he just handed me a dismissal letter.
Apparently statutory notice is 1 week but as I have a contract stating that I am to receive 1 months notice I just wondered if he must pay me 1 months pay.

Incidentally under the scheme I was also able to claim for holiday pay and arrears of pay. Both payments were capped. The liquidator looked after these items.

Does his contract with me mean anything in law

If it says you are entitled to one months you should get on months notice, however, as you are only working there 4 months are you on a probationery period with shorter notice period?

Back