Voluntary PRSI payments

officepres

I am self employed and when I do my taxes last couple of years I have to at the minimum pay a PRSI contribution. I had a very bad year in 2012 and when I did my accounts last Oct on ROS it didn't even charge me this. Apparently I was below even the PRSI threshold. So business has picked up since and I am wondering about whether I should pay the 2012 PRSI voluntarily. I don't see any reason to do this except for NC old age pension which I really don't expect to get, maybe I'm too cynical. I am 44. Any thoughts on all this? Thanks

One way to ensure that you don't qualify is not to pay PRSI.

You can't make a voluntary contribution for 2012 now. But might be in your interests to pay in the future. Although the min contribution is €500.

Do you mean the time has elapsed for which I could pay prsi for 2012. If so when did it elapse exactly, was it end of 2013 for 2012 ? I don't intend to avoid paying prsi going forward (it's mandatory for self employed anyway unless you have a very low income - which I'm not expecting to happen to me again) .... and I'm not trying to ensurre that I don't get NC pension either :rolleyes: it was just the way it happend, but now I'd like to know if there is anything else I will miss on account of this, do you know ? I think it has something to do with more than a certain number of consecutive payments, do you know how many? Also I am puzzled at the min contribution - it was always somewhere around €360 I think for me in previous years returns. ROS didn't give me any other options, neither less or more. Where do you get that figure from?

I don't see where it's saying I can't pay it for 2012 at this point though, but regardless I'm not sure I need to ( if I want to be eligable for NC pension) ... because I can't see anywhere in that link anything about a min number of consecutive payments ... or is it the case that if you miss one year PRSI you are disqualified from ever being eligible for NC pension without the opportunity to make amends. :) I read through those before and this is where I got stuck in my understanding.

I presume by "NC" you mean the non-contributory State pension?

Note that PRSI payments entitle workers to the contributory State Pension.

Back