Condensation on Bedroom Windows

virgo08

I have excessive condensation on my bedroom windows on cold frosty mornings. This is causing mould on my blinds and curtains and also the bedroom wall. I have wallpaper on one Wall (Over the bed) the corner wall has black mould forming and also around the skirting. I have the heat on in the evening and it goes off while we are in bed and comes on again in the morning. My windows are double glazed and its a bay window with a lead cover on top where the windows sits out from the tiled roof. The house is 10 years old, there is a vent in the room but i close this as its over my head. What would be causing this and how can i prevent it?

i would say the vent is there for a reason so it shouldent really be closed,bedrooms with no ventilation usally are prone to getting condensation on the windows

Another simple solution is to open the window for as long as possible each morning, to allow the window to dry. Or sleep with a window open a little, if that's feasible. When I first moved into my house there was a lot of mould around the bedroom window, and on the blinds. Since cleaning that off, and following my own suggestions, it hasn't returned.

you can also get whats called a trickle vent, its an aftermarket product that can be fitted to the window frame, do a google on it

I got a dehumidifier last month as I wasn't able to open the windows in the room very much and condensation was always there, leading to mould - it was really awful.

I now run the dehumidifier in a spare bedroom and there hasn't been a bit of condensation after the first 2 days or so. This is the same for all windows and doors. My front door used to be 'too airtight' (Thats what I was told) and the water used to run off it. Now, all windows and doors are condensation - and mould - free.

Very happy with it :D

Hi Smashbox. What model of dehumidifier did you get? Does the sound not keep you awake?

dehumidifier is a great job if you are unable to remove / reduce the source of the extra humidity (cooking, showering, baths, washing up, kettle, people, pets, drying clothes indoors), or ventilate the excess humidity in any other way (wall or trickle vents, extractors, open windows).

drying clothes on a clothes horse is a big culprit.

Be careful that mould is not building up behind furniture or boxes.

I think its cheaper to run a dehumidifer for a couple of hours than to have too much heat loss thru excessive ventilation, but i may be wrong.

sorry, I was unclear.

I mean that using a dehumidifier as a solution, as opposed to throwing open the windows for extended periods (excessive ventilation) as a solution, may be cheaper.

Any advice/opinions on this...

ALL of our windows (in a 2-year-old new build) are almost 50% covered with insulation every morning now since the cold snap, upstairs and down. We had all sorts of problems with the inferior company that supplied the windows but I believe they're all fixed now, i.e. the windows are airtight. They all have trickle vents (no room vents) but these are all open and don't seem to make any difference.

We don't have a lot of heat on overnight and it tends to disappear quickly anyway - house is very spread out and cheaply insulated.

Is our house too airtight? Or what else could be causing these sheets of moisture on our windows every morning? (which persist throughout half the day, incidentally)

Thanks!

LL

some moulds are very dangerous and can kill....ventilation is the key to keeping mould at bay

Hi,

I have the same problems in my sitting rom and bedroom. can you tell me the make of dehumidifier you bought or if anyone knows of a good one/ how much etc?

Virgo08,

You could try a Passivent.These vents fit into existing wall vents - something like a Fresh 99H may be of help.I have not used them but they claim to reduce the humidity in rooms thus reducing condensation.Unfortunately they are expensive buggers.
The only problem I would see with a dehumidifier is that as it draws alot of the moisture from the air it may lead to dry coughs - am only speculating cannot say if this would actually happen.I only know that when the little one has a dry cough a good solution is to put a humidifier in her room for 1 - 2 nights and it's gone.
I suppose you could argue that the Passivent would do the same thing but it may be worth investigating.

Back