BoI Laser Termination Date Confirmed: Jan 31st 2012

I am abroad at the moment,
Will my lazer card just stop working on the 1st Feb?
I will have to DHL my new card to me from my Ireland address?

If it expires it will stop working. You should have the new card at your Irish address in plenty of time. If you will still be abroad you will need someone to get the new card to you.

I am abroad at the moment,
Will my lazer card just stop working on the 1st Feb?
I will have to DHL my new card to me from my Ireland address?

As Time said it will only stop working if you try to use it after the expiry date printed on the card.

BofI do not expect to have the new visa debit cards to everyone untill the end of June and laser will only be phased out after that.

In any event Laser cards (or at least the laser part of the card) primarily only work in Ireland

BofI do not expect to have the new visa debit cards to everyone untill the end of June and laser will only be phased out after that.

In any event Laser cards (or at least the laser part of the card) primarily only work in Ireland

I noticed on my online 365 today that a transction I made yesterday on my Laser is showing as "23JAN DEBIT CARD". Normally shows as Laser until merchant details are updated.

I noticed on my online 365 today that a transction I made yesterday on my Laser is showing as "23JAN DEBIT CARD". Normally shows as Laser until merchant details are updated.

Ya, my point to "two wheels" was that his/her laser card wont just stop working on Feb 1st (provided its in date) and that they can use it as normal (for what ever they used it for abroad in the past) and dont need to panic with a courier

hi,
My hubbys laser card ran out this month, got new card in the post and it was laser too:confused: went into BoI to check before activating it and was told all staff have had their new cards and customers will be receiving theirs on a roll out from Jan 2012 in alphabetical order!!
Also said that everyone would have new cards before end of July 2012.
Wish I'd kept my maiden name lol;)

has anyone actually got the new BOI Visa debit card yet?

Also, will new cards includes new technology for paying for small transactions without having to enter pin number (I know it'll prob take a while for retailers to actually implement).

Mine expires in March , Ill expect mine then so.
Can anyone with one of these confirm is the cash back facility still available with Visa debit?
I know it was an issue with Halifax's one.

has anyone actually got the new BOI Visa debit card yet?

I believe it's been rolled back until March at least.

Also, will new cards includes new technology for paying for small transactions without having to enter pin number (I know it'll prob take a while for retailers to actually implement).

Apparently

Can anyone with one of these confirm is the cash back facility still available with Visa debit?

Yes, there is.

hi,
Also said that everyone would have new cards before end of July 2012.
This is a bit of a nuisance since my current card should run till the beginning of 2014. Since I live abroad new cards aren't the most convenient thing. Although I have to admit last time round it was much easier than before as they really did post it to my Irish address and I was able to just have it forwarded to me and could activate it by using it in an ATM here. Hopefully I'm just worrying about nothing because I'm remembering the time before when they insisted I collect in person, I arranged holidays specifically around doing that and when I got there, they had only issued me an ATM card and not a Laser (only the Laser includes the Cirrus and Maestro that are required for using it outside Ireland).

Could someon who has the visa direct already confirm that it has the cirrus and maestro symbols on the back as well, please?

boi told me today by email that they will be rolling out the visa debit card between march 2012 and august 2012 on a phased basis.

This is a bit of a nuisance since my current card should run till the beginning of 2014. Since I live abroad new cards aren't the most convenient thing. Although I have to admit last time round it was much easier than before as they really did post it to my Irish address and I was able to just have it forwarded to me and could activate it by using it in an ATM here. Hopefully I'm just worrying about nothing because I'm remembering the time before when they insisted I collect in person, I arranged holidays specifically around doing that and when I got there, they had only issued me an ATM card and not a Laser (only the Laser includes the Cirrus and Maestro that are required for using it outside Ireland).

Could someon who has the visa direct already confirm that it has the cirrus and maestro symbols on the back as well, please?

Visa Debit, not Visa Direct ;)

It doesn't need Maestro/Cirrus logos. They're just to indicate that a card can be used in an ATM that accepts Mastercard/Maesto/Cirrus. Visa Debit works in any ATM that accepts Visa Debit or Visa Credit cards - most banks/ATM's (not all, but it's rare) accept cards from both networks.

Visa Debit, not Visa Direct ;)

Oops, thank you.

The reason I ask is that things work differently in Germany. I know I can use a cirrus card with no problem. I'm not sure that ATMs here take visa debit and will need to check that. It is sometimes convenient for me to use my BoI card to take money out because if I'm not near an ATM from my German bank (or one of the other banks they have an agreement with) I am charged (usually around 5 euro per withdrawal) for taking money out using my German card. It is cheaper and easier then to take money out of my BoI account and just transfer it online from my German account to my BoI account later on. Same thing while travelling - if I'm in France, for example, I can take money out of my BoI account using my PASS/Laser/Cirrus card without incurring any charges. If I were to take money out from my German account I'd be paying hefty charges.

Hi,

Does anyone know what new attributes these visa debit cards will have over the laser debit cards...and if they will be acceptable for online transactions like visa credit cards where presently laser are not accepted?

Thanks

Back