Tenants Unable to Pay Rent

belview

Given the severe economic downturn , the loss of employment and the groundswell of opinion that mortgage lenders should be taking a benign view in relation to foreclosures.
What is the view of people out there in relation to tenants finding themselves in a position where they are unable to pay their monthly rent due to unemployment.
What rights and expectations would be on landlords in this new climate and what view would the PRTB take.

That is an excellant question.im a tenent npt a landlord but i would hope that the landlord would show compasion.

That is an excellant question.im a tenent npt a landlord but i would hope that the landlord would show compasion.

A landlord would show as much compassion as the mortgage provider when turfing him out on the street

What rights and expectations would be on landlords in this new climate and what view would the PRTB take.

There would and should be no expectations from Landlords. They are not running a free service, so in most cases I would say it's time for tenants to move on home or back or wherever they like.

Thats a shame that you all think like that.I know that if i was a landlord and had a couple with kids in my property that i would cut some slack for a while.things arent getting better in this country.its getting worse.Dog eat dog.

Errr cleverclogs....bizarre attitude to say the least.
I am a landlord and neither my OH or I are working at the moment.
OH is the construction business......so you are suggesting that I let my theorectically unemployed tenants (all single 20 somethings) chillax in my house while me and my kids have to starve or worse to pull together the mortgage payments????????????

We actually moved out of our PPR to rent it out and downsized to a smaller cheaper rental property.

People need to get real about landlords, developers, public servants, bankers.....etc etc etc. People are falling for and getting off on all these caricatures.....these are all real...normal .....people.

i SAID COUPLE WITH KIDS.NOT SINGLES IN THERE 20'S.I dont think i have a "bizarre attitude "im a mom of 2 and if i found myself in a position that i couldnt pay rent after losing my job.i would aproach my landlord and try to come to an arrangement.
I read the papers,i see the way the country is going,i see unemployment going up by the day.Im not blind.Am i the only person that would show compasion ???

Business is business you must pay for a service in this case living in someone elses house.

If there is no money coming in how is the landlord going to cover his/her overheads i.e. mortage? As a landlord myself I would be flexible for a month or so in exceptional cases but when the mortgage needs paying I need tennats that can pay up.

Often in the past when living away and money was extra tight I survived on bread for the last week of each month. My landlord then wasn't very considerate believe me!

Hate to frank about it but renting out ones property isn't a charity service.

i SAID COUPLE WITH KIDS.NOT SINGLES IN THERE 20'S.I dont think i have a "bizarre attitude "im a mom of 2 and if i found myself in a position that i couldnt pay rent after losing my job.i would aproach my landlord and try to come to an arrangement.
I read the papers,i see the way the country is going,i see unemployment going up by the day.Im not blind.Am i the only person that would show compasion ???
If the landlord owns his property outright he MAY be in a position to go without rent payments for a while as you apply for RS. If the landlord is paying a hefty mortgage he won't have that luxury and will need to get someone in who can pay the rent or the bank will be seeking repossession. Should a landlord lose his asset because his tenant has lost her job? Hardly fair. It is society's job to take care of the less fortunate, not individual landlords'.

Business is business you must pay for a service in this case living in someone elses house.

If there is no money coming in how is the landlord going to cover his/her overheads i.e. mortage? As a landlord myself I would be flexible for a month or so in exceptional cases but when the mortgage needs paying I need tennats that can pay up.

Often in the past when living away and money was extra tight I survived on bread for the last week of each month. My landlord then wasn't very considerate believe me!

Hate to frank about it but renting out ones property isn't a charity service.

Yes i agree with you .I wasnt suggesting giving tenents a free ride.Only a little compasion if said tenent couldnt pay full amount for a month or so.I was in a simular position back in the mid 90'S while living in greece.Would live on bread and jam for the last few days of the month to meet rent payments.

Given the severe economic downturn , the loss of employment and the groundswell of opinion that mortgage lenders should be taking a benign view in relation to foreclosures.
What is the view of people out there in relation to tenants finding themselves in a position where they are unable to pay their monthly rent due to unemployment.

It would depend on the circumstnaces I guess, if somebody had been a good tenant for many years it might make sense to leave them a bit of slack and hope they get a job. Or you could reduce the rent for a period. If people get turfed out there might not be anybody else interested in renting the place given the current overslupply. Rent must be on the verge of collapse given that just about everything else is on the verge of collapse as well at the moment, the next client might be paying a whole lot less.

Am i the only person that would show compasion ???
Probably.

Renting a house is a business, it's that simple. If you start letting people stay for free, then you are a charity.
Why stop at paying your tenants' rent? - why not also pay for their food, or pay off your neighbours' mortgage while you're at it?
Consider as well that tenants can (and probably will) take advantage of such a situation.

(post crossed with above)

If the landlord owns his property outright he MAY be in a position to go without rent payments for a while as you apply for RS. If the landlord is paying a hefty mortgage he won't have that luxury and will need to get someone in who can pay the rent or the bank will be seeking repossession. Should a landlord lose his asset because his tenant has lost her job? Hardly fair. It is society's job to take care of the less fortunate, not individual landlords'.

Its society that got us all into this mess.Ever see the movie pay it foreward with Helen hunt.?

Oh i give up.I was only saying that i would give some leeway thats all,Not bend over backwards and be a hard ass.

Its society that got us all into this mess.Ever see the movie pay it foreward with Helen hunt.?

We have ALL got to take collective responsibility for this mess.
It is a total cop-out to blame bankers, developers, the government blah blah blah.

WE are society...all of us....we all have power...and influence and can vote. And it is through our votes that we abdicated responsiblity.

We kept voting in the government who sat passively on the run away train that was/is our economy. we took the 100% mortgages, we maxed out the credit cards. We all drank the kool-aid.

Have we got the courage now to vote for a government strong enough to make painful decisions which will benefit our children but maybe not us??
That's paying forward in my view.

If they can afford to rent a movie they can pay their rent!!!

Oh i give up.I was only saying that i would give some leeway thats all,Not bend over backwards and be a hard ass.

Tenants have leeway pay up or get out...

Having said that when my last tenant gave me his notice I offered him a rent reduction on the spot...Ssshhhh don't tell anyone!!!

Tenants seem to be of the opinion that landlords are loaded. We have a lot of overheads eg. Mortages, PRTB, Insurance, 1% Levy, BER,Management fees, and talk of a property tax of 1,000 euro per unit, and god knows what else is coming down the line. So how can a landlord leave a tenant in a property without paying their rent.

I know a landlord who let the tennant arrears go on for 4 months.Every month it was either a bounced cheque or false promises of money being in the account by the end of the week. When he approached them and told them that they have to pay up or move out by the end of the month - they told him they would move out by the end of the month and this was only at the beginning of the month- which would give them 3 weeks to find another place.

He then thought about the conversation and went up and had a chat with them and told them that if they did not pay up in 2 days time, that he was going to go into the house , pack there stuff and leave it in the front garden. He got the sob story that the woman was pregnant and out of work on maternity and that the man has lost his job.

When he went back up 2 days later , he was told the man was at work .... clearly making an idiot out of him. They now have to pay him 600 euro every week until the debt of 4k is cleared...

They clearly wanted to leave after the month and get somewhere else if they thought they could get away with 4 months rent.

There still in the house , so they must be able to afford the 600 a week to clear the debt.

Landlords beware of fake stories.

Think about this now; If you turf your tennants out, how long will it take to find another tennant?
If you have a good tennant ,why not cut some slack?
The alternative is to find another one,who may not pay you what you are presently getting ,you may find tennants are looking for a reduction in rental prices anyway.
You may find that the new ones are not as good and it may take some time to find another one in the current climate.
You may also find that its not that easy anymore to let,and what would you would end up doing is cutting your nose off to save your face.
If it were me and I had a choice of keeping a good tennant at a reduced cost or gambling on ,having no tennant/bad tennant/left waiting to get a tennant ,I know which I would choose to do.Its your call though.

Back