Changing the car tax system to avoid clocking

W200

In relation to car clocking in general I feel that there is a very simple solution to this problem.
As it stands you are required to provide details of your insurance in order to tax your car.
Would it not be possible therefore to change the system slightly so that in order to tax your car you are required to provide insurance details and the milometer reading at that time.
A potential purchaser could then (for a small fee) access the recorded mileage for the lifetime of the car and if any anomaly appeared they could simply walk away.
Another method of recording the mileage could be via the NCT system but of course newer cars could slip through the net on this one.
If this was to be implemented Europe wide and via the MOT system in England it would go a long way to solving the problem.
I fear however that my solution is far too simple and unless the solution requires working groups, white papers, blue papers, acts of parliament, setting up of multiple quangos and the possible re invention of the wheel it will never catch on

Newer cars are normally serviced by the main dealer who record what the odometer indicates at each occasion it is in the garage, many independents also do this, the SIMI independent non dealer garage that services my car for instance does it, this information is available to car history sites such as Cartell for example, there are others.

NCT picks this up from 4 years of age.

The issue is with imports, if you have the original registration you can search it as well, same thing applies.

Peope need to be more savvy before parting with their hard earned,a car history check is one way, bring along a good car guy another, full car check via AA or other self employed car reviewers is another, they are other ways of course but to succeed the rogue trader must disguise the car being clocked very well, insist on a history, still not satisfied well walk away as there are plenty of other cars available.

There are so many loopholes when it comes to clocking. The NCT have already taken a step, they now take note of the mileage on the vehicle and display it on the cert and disc, that's great but with fresh imports (that hae been clocked) its of no use. The fact that history checks can be tampered with also takes away any credibility when buying a car. The only way to be 100% sure is to bring a VERY reputable mechanic with you and have the vehicle inspected bumper to bumper, if it costs you €100 to do this it will be the best €100 you will ever spend. I would have much more faith in buying an Irish registered car than any UK vehicle.

Read an article yesterday that says data protection laws prevent individuals from accessing information on the mileage history of a car . If so why ?

Back