Text: You Scraped my car today and Gardai have given me your number

amgd28

....As per title, got a text today as per below verbatim:

You scraped my car earlier gardai gave me your number can you give me your insurance details please

An obvious scam as:
  • I hadn't scraped any car today
  • The gardai would not have my number
  • Even if they did, issuing my mobile to a random accuser would be a clear reach of data protection

I would like to report the number to the Gardaí. Any recommendations or should I just pop into nearest station?

Very possible that Gardai gave the number (despite data protection)! I know of cases of this happening in the past. Very strange that they couldn't simply phone you rather than text you...geez :-(

Ring them back and get them to explain themselves. Perhaps they took down the wrong number.

I certainly would not ring them back as you don't know what you are getting involved with.

Visit to local garda station sounds best approach and take number of Garda that you speak with.

maybe just a wrong number?
I cant see how this could be a scam

It could well be a scam phishing for personal details, the text looks for insurance details, with which they would get name & address and a hook to start with, for instance they could then call the insurance company pretending to be their customer and advising, say, their new email address, oh and I've misplaced my insurance doc can you send me on a copy, and now they have your date of birth as well.......and so on....

The thing to always wonder is does this make sense, the text doesn't say where this allegedly occurred, doesn't ask why they left the scene, if someone scraped your car would you just send them a one line text ? (Even apart from the guards giving a number to a third party). In my view if it's weird, it's probably a scam and don't touch it

maybe just a wrong number?
I cant see how this could be a scam

Scam, I would think.

What they really want is cash.

If they sent hundreds of these texts, I’m sure they will get a few callers wanting to settle privately rather than go through their insurance

Yeah my assumption is text went to a few people phishing. Not very sophisticated.
Have had nothing since...

Back