Ireland to Los Angeles

Staples

I got some help on these pages in advance of a recent trip to LA so I thought I'd add my own views to possibly help others who might be contemplating the same trip.

I hadn't been convinced either way by the various pros and cons offered in relation to the usual transatlantic providers (AL, Delta, Continental). In the end, I went with air new Zealand from Dublin via london. They were pretty similar in price with the benefit of a sky couch option (the underside of the three seats folded up to effectively make a small couch bed which allows you lounge a little more - albeit with some difficulty for three people). As always though, things were more cramped when the seats in front were inevitably lowered backwards. The in flight service was excellent for economy class.

Flying via London meant a longer second leg (11 hrs) but I felt this allowed for a more relaxed flight rather than say two legs of five/six hours with a couple of hours stopover in-between. The downside of course was that we couldn't pre clear immigration. As it transpired, the wait was about the same as I've ever experienced in Dublin (about 90mins and with the same charming personnel) but there is probably some virtue in getting it out of the way while one is still fresh, in advance of setting out.

I had been a bit concerned about the stopover time necessary to ensure that I made connecting flights comfortably. The experience with Heathrow was that a stopover time of two hours is more than adequate to make the connection comfortably. The default option provided by Air New Zealand's website offered a 6 hour stopover time which was obviously way too much. However, by booking over the phone (remember that option??), I was able to change to a later Aer Lingus flight to London.

All things considered, I'd highly recommend Air New Zealand for this journey and, on balance, would endure the donside of having to clear immigration at the far side.

Once there, a car is really a necessity if you're contemplating going beyond LA itself. If doing so, I would highly recommend hiring a sat nav. I got one almost as an afterthought but it turned out to be the best money spent on the trip. The road network is extensive and complicated and I think I'd be still there if i'd been reliant solely on maps.

Mid week in October proved to be a good time to visit Disneyland. Warm without being oppressive and hardly any queues.

For those into shopping there's a big discount outlet in Camarillo just north of LA. Well worth the drive and somewhere you could easily spend the entire day.

Didn't travel extensively in the time available but went to Santa Monica which I thought was beautiful.

I hadn't been convinced either way by the various pros and cons offered in relation to the usual transatlantic providers (AL, Delta, Continental).

I've only flown transatlantic a few times but the American carriers have always let me down - poor service, overbooked flights, rude staff, etc. Aer Lingus are much better but, at least the last time I flew with them, their in flight entertainment was awful. I'd happily fly through London and waste the extra two hours than suffer an American carrier out of Dublin again.

Pre-clearance is great if you're transiting though an American airport though, it really eases the pressure.

I've only flown transatlantic a few times but the American carriers have always let me down - poor service, overbooked flights, rude staff, etc. Aer Lingus are much better but, at least the last time I flew with them, their in flight entertainment was awful. I'd happily fly through London and waste the extra two hours than suffer an American carrier out of Dublin again.

Pre-clearance is great if you're transiting though an American airport though, it really eases the pressure.

I have had the exact opposite experience and gave up flying Aer Lingus for personal travel 8 years ago after some really terrible experiences on a flight from LA to Dublin.

I've flown American a couple of times and have nothing but praise for them but we do all our transatlantic travel with Delta now that we try to do all our flying within Skyteam. Would take them over AL any day!

I have done it both ways.

I have flown DUB-LHR-LAX with British Airways and it was a great experience. The BA staff really know how to look after their passengers and you got most of the journey done in one go.

I have also flown to the West Coast a couple of times with Delta via JFK or Atlanta and while the the food, customer service etc was not up to BA's standards, it was still more than adequate for me though I am not exactly a picky person; also this way you shave 3-4 hours off your total journey time and you have the pre-clearance at Dublin Airport

Ultimately for me it comes down to price

Back