Turkey during Ramadan

redchariot

I am thinking of heading to Turkey around the end of July - beginning of August; however I have just learnt that this will be during Ramadan this year.

As I will be planning to stay in a resort as opposed to somewhere like Istanbul, will this have any major impact on my holiday as I will be hoping for a lot of days on the beach drinking a nice cold beer and plenty of good nights out too.

If anybody has any experience of this it would be much appreciated

You will have no problem at all, plenty of tourist travel around same time and all bars and restuarants are open all day long, enjoy

In the holiday resorts of western and southern Turkey the workers (even those from eastern Turkey) have become westernised. I guarantee that you will not even know Ramadan exists during your holiday.

We were in Tunisia during Ramadan last year.

You can still do everything you want, but you will be aware that it is happening.

Everything still functioned, but the streets were emptier than you would expect, and our hotel was practically empty. The plus side was that we had a private pool :)

As soon as Ramadan ended, the whole place changed; far more activity, streets were buzzing with people and bars were packed (Tunisia seems to have a lot of laise faire Muslims - booze is ok, but not during Ramadan- not sure how Turkey is).

Back