Consumer right on second hand car

Shaz

I bought a second hand car from a major dealership 4 months ago and it is still under the 1 year warranty. There is a problem that they have attempted to fix twice, but with no success. What are my consumer rights with regard to this? Thanks.

A girl at work bought a brand new car and issues occurred four times and somehow the problem wasn't sorted each time, it was not a mechanical problem but a leaking of rain water. NCA told her that if problem occurred five times she could ask for a new car.

As far as Im aware the year warranty starts again from the time you get the issue fixed.

If problem escalates keep record of all phonecalls, dates etc...

A quick phonecall/email to NCA would clarify the situation.

Can one sign away their consumer rights?

I bought a car form a dealer 5 weeks ago (2003 Mercedes, €3950). It has developed serious engine trouble. However, I unwittingly signed an invoice which stated in small writing at the bottom that, "Vehicle is sold in need of repair & service, no warranty or guarentee of any kind is given by the seller in respect of the vehicle. Purchaser confirms that he has signed the vehicle and is satisfied"

I know that had i not signed this invoice that the I would have a strong case for recourse. Does this invoice I signed have legal standing?

I bought a car form a dealer 5 weeks ago (2003 Mercedes, €3950). It has developed serious engine trouble. However, I unwittingly signed an invoice which stated in small writing at the bottom that, "Vehicle is sold in need of repair & service, no warranty or guarentee of any kind is given by the seller in respect of the vehicle. Purchaser confirms that he has signed the vehicle and is satisfied"

I know that had i not signed this invoice that the I would have a strong case for recourse. Does this invoice I signed have legal standing?

Sold "as is". You unfortunately do not have any recourse.

According to consumer rights, then yes the dealer has a duty of care as the item sold should be in a fit manner for it's use.

Heard of a similar issue with a gearbox needed to be replaced 4 weeks after a car was purchased. It wasn't from a "main dealer", after going back,he took out the form similar to Paddy77 above and (putting it nicer to what he said) - "tough"... I would have assumed that he should have got it fixed... no written guarantee received at the time...

Back