What happens if you can't find a beneficiary?

I think Emerald's issue was resolved, but I would be interested to hear what they did.

Not sure the Mormon database would be a lot of help in the UK/Ireland however.

AFAIk the Mormon database has all the records for the UK and Ireland. Are you talking about finding out if the death of this person was registered?

Death records have already been checked.

The 'Mormon' database only seems to have historical records rather than current ones.

Thought you might like to hear there's a happy ending to this story.

The executor purchased an insurance policy which will pay out in the event that the (now presumed deceased) Father turns up.

The two adult children will shortly be receiving their legacies.

i hope someone can answer this for me. a friend of mine who lives abroad and was a benificery of his late uncles will told me that his uncle also left some money to his ex wife whom he got divorced from 35 years ago in canada , the address used was the last address the ex wife lived in ,and she cannot be located . the man who died came back to live in ireland following the divorce and never had children or never remarried. he died two and a half years ago he has been told by a cousin here in ireland the money he left to his ex wife will go to the state , i dont think thats correct hence my enquiry.

Your post isn't clear and the lack of punctuation doesn't help.

Your friend, let's call him Jack was left some money by his Uncle John.

John also left a legacy to Jack's former wife or his own former wife?

Either way this person cannot be traced; is that what you are saying?

What efforts has the executor made to trace the beneficiary?

sorry about punctuation etc its possibly an age, and lack of keyboard experiance thing, as im nearer to 70 than 60. yes you are correct about the situation. i dont know how hard the executor has tried. but my friend lets call him Jack was told when he was over here in ireland , that if Johns ex wife cannot be traced the money would be left to the state, and that didn't seem right to me , hence the enquiry. the man died about two and a half years ago..

Ok, so my understanding is that if the beneficiary cannot be traced and no next of kin are known about (in my case there were two adult children) then yes the legacy reverts to the state.

The executor is obliged to make all reasonable efforts to trace the beneficiary or their next of kin.

The legacy cannot be reverted to the estate and distributed to other beneficiaries; so it makes no difference to Jack either way.

Check out the Mormon church,
they have the largest genealogy database in the world.

Well that is sort of true - I have been researching Salt Lake City, UT and the genealogical databases heir finders & other organizations expert at locating unclaimed estates and unclaimed inheritance assets, that are based in Utah, have access to... It's not a matter of contacting the Mormon Church however - I believe it is more a matter of working through one of the probate investigation services or heir locator services. They are ones with the genealogical and probate data... not the Church, as far as I can see.

Death records have already been checked.

The 'Mormon' database only seems to have historical records rather than current ones.

I've been looking into all of this, missing inheritance assets and so forth... and from what I can see it isn't so much the Mormons, but seasoned probate investigation services in the Salt Lake, Utah area that have current probate, estate and genealogical data.

My sister in law left a percentage of the residue of her estate to be divided between her 9 nieces and nephews. They each inherited approx €3,000. The final beneficiary cannot be traced.
Can it be given to his only sibling? They both live in England.

It will fall into the residue of the estate - who was that left to (after the % given to the nieces & nephews) ?

It will fall into the residue of the estate - who was that left to (after the % given to the nieces & nephews) ?
its a small estate, no property involved. She listed a % of her estate to be divided amongst the nieces and nephews and a further % to be given to each of her sisters, making up the total.

Assuming that the will was well written (?), then the unfilled legacy will be divided amonsgt the sisters

You said "My sister in law" and then "his only sibling" so it is not clear what the actual situation is

Whoever is the executor should contact a solicitor to make sure that they are following the law and not leaving themnselves open to a law suit

jpd , thank you for your reply. Sorry about the lack of clarity. The sibling referred to is the sister and only sibling of the nephew who cannot be traced. She is also his next of kin.

As regards the wording of the will, the residue was allocated in %. 30% to her nieces & nephews, 35% to her sister A, 35% to her sister B.

As you suggest, probably best to consult a solicitor. The executor had thought to avoid that as the sum involved was so small.

That's even more unclear - who exactly cannot be traced - nephew, Sister A or Sister B?

If they can not be traced, it looks like their share falls to the state - it seems like the estate was worth around € 90k but your postings do not make that very clear

One of the nephews, who is due to inherit €3,000 cannot be traced. He has one sibling a sister who has already received her €3,000.
She is her brothers next of kin. My query was, as her brother cannot be traced, can his €3,000 be given to his sister. The other beneficiaries would agree to this.

Back