Capco Nova-Brazilian slate,anyone used these?

yamr6

Hi,
I am looking for any information as to why these slates cannot be used on my new build and all I have heard is how bad they are but no real explanation.

The Capco salesman(naturally) says that the problem with their reputation is mainly due to roofers treating them like a spanish slate when cutting them and this leads to larger than normal amount of wastage.
They have to be cut using a con-saw and are more suited to roofs, such as A shaped roofs, which do not require cutting across the slate as most cuts are just vertical.

Is there a problem anyone has had after they were installed on roof such as cracking or is it just the wastage issue that has given them such a bad name?

Hi,
I am looking for any information as to why these slates cannot be used on my new build and all I have heard is how bad they are but no real explanation.

The Capco salesman(naturally) says that the problem with their reputation is mainly due to roofers treating them like a spanish slate when cutting them and this leads to larger than normal amount of wastage.
They have to be cut using a con-saw and are more suited to roofs, such as A shaped roofs, which do not require cutting across the slate as most cuts are just vertical.

Is there a problem anyone has had after they were installed on roof such as cracking or is it just the wastage issue that has given them such a bad name?
You also HAVE to fix these slates with slate hooks

We used them on our roof over 8,000 of them you have to use a mini grinder for them alright and the slate hooks but our carpenter was so impressed with them he got them for his own plcae, got them for €1.42 each you will see pics on the blog.

www.selfbuildardmore.blogspot.com

I would strongly advise you to stay away from Capco. I used them last November, bought a heritage gallegas slate from them. I ended up buying 30% more due to poor quality. The salesmen wont accept resoposibility for anything. There estimating service is a joke and they dont stand over their estimates. I am left with €3000 worth of slates sitting in the garden & cant get a resolution.

I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE TO GO TO ANOTHER SUPPLIER

After looking at a few roofs locally that have the Capco Brazilian slate I am thinking of going with it.
I actually like the way it looks on the roof and my roofer has looked at samples and seems happy to follow Capco guidelines in installation re cutting and hooking.
I have a very simple A shape roof so wastage should not be a problem and the price is about 50% to 60% of the next realistic option of a premium grade slate.
Decided against using any of the Heritage grade slates as the Capco salesman was upfront with me and said that any unusable slates would be my issue as opposed to with a premium grade order where any oversupply or bad slates would be taken back by supplier.
Will update after roof is on when I will know if I made the correct choice.

i got the brazilian black slate ...looks perfect...people always comment how nice they look...my roofer fitted according to capcos instructions..

Back