Re: Problems with glass splashbacks

G

GerC

Hi, just looking back over old threads and see that some people have had problems with glass cracking and also dirt lodging behind glass...I was just about to order with colourglass but starting to have some doubts now...Only thing is the threads are old so Im wondering if things have improved in recent years...I was going to put it behind gas hob as well as rest of kitchen..Would appreciate some advise please !!!!!!

I got a glass splash back behind my hob and a 10 inch splash back around the the rest of the work tops last year. I have had no problems with it. I priced colour glass in ranelagh and found them very expensive, and did not like the fact that I had to pay for everything up front. I used celtic stained glass, and found them very good.

Thanks for that. I will def try celtic stained glass. Do you have electric or gas hob? Some of the older threads mentioned that they had gas and it had cracked glass..I did not know that u have to pay upfront for colourglass, i wonder if celtic glass would fit where I am located - Waterford.

Ger

You could try the glass place on Ballybricken if you're near - O'Driscoll.

They'll do coloured glass in any RAL colour, cut to size.

We're planning on getting a glass splashback (no hob, sink only) and a couple more bespoke mirrors. We got a lovely large bevelled mirror from them a while back.

Generally anyone will say a glass splashback won't be heatproof, depending on the distance though you may be OK.

SSE

Thats great, I will try O'Driscolls. Would they fit it also? The more I think about it, I think I will forget about behind hob - maybe put stainless steel there instead..thanks for that

Yep, they will. They fitted our large mirror and we're very happy with it.

They can also do frosting around edges, laser cutting etc.

Good luck,
SSE

Hi,

Is there anyone who has been using other glass for splash backs than the ready made version?
I am thinking of getting splash backs made from toughened glass, and paint the back of myself using acrylic paints. Might even do some collage. I will then screw it to the wall and seal the top and sides. The idea is to be able to take it down in a few years and change the colour scheme real easy by just stripping the paint and repainting.
Just want to know if anyone has been doing this already and can give some advice?

toughened sandblasted glass looks well and wont crack. make sure you tell glass co. to pre-drill 4 holes for fixing to wall as this cant be done after glass has been toughened

Back