One parent family 3 month wait

yellowroses

Hi,
If you have to be separated 3 months before you can apply for OPF what are you entitled to in the initial 3 months before you apply? You cant go to cwo as they can only supplement if you have submitted a claim but you cant put a claim in for 3 months. Just wondering who I go to for those 3 months as I am a dependant of someone on JSA which he has signed off from & he intends leaving the country. I am renting privately with children & no income. Any ideas please?

If you are co-hab you dont have to be separated for 3 months to apply for OPF, this only applies if you are married. You can apply for jsa and while this is being processed you can apply to the cwo for supplementary welfare allowance. If it is the case that partner is only leaving the country for job purposes then you would not be entitled to OPF as you would be deemed geographically separated only.

If a person cannot make a claim for One Parent Family Payment due to the "3 month separation" rule, they can apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance from the SWA officer (formerly the CWO).

There doesn't have to be another claim (e.g. Jobseeker's) made in order to qualify.

Back