Starting from scratch with a €20G Lump sum and adding regular monthly, need help

steeb

Hi All,

I am a long time lurker on the forum, especially checking up on CiaranT's Best Buy sections.

I have been trying to figure out for a while how to best handle my savings. In general for years, due to laziness and indecision, I have simply left excess cash sitting in my BOI current account. I recently got a new job so I have more money coming in, but with a wedding and possibly (in a few years) mortgage on the way I want to be smarter with my money.

I have €20,000 lump sum to start me off and want to put that in a notice account, 30 day access would be ideal, 90 seems a bit much. I could be convinced to do a fixed term of 1 or 2 years if the numbers were right.

I then would also like to set up a regular savings account to save monthly. I would prefer to be able to set a standing order of about €200 with the choice to put more as I see fit, for months when Im more flush.

I want to do this online and as hands off as possible, bar manual transfers when I want to put more into the regular some months. I thought I had finally found a good setup with Nationwide UK using the combo of their Euro Notice Plus Savings Account(1.75% on €2,000 to €2,000,000) and the Euro Regular Saver Account (4.00% on €1 to €15,265.00)

However I was pipped at the post as I only want to do online banking and apparently the Nationwide UK online setup is crap. They only support Internet Explorer (what year is this?) and as a Mac user who lives in Chrome its simply not an option. I have considered wrappers like IE Tab but with no way to test if it would work its a massive gamble.

Can anyone give some advise on what other options I would have or a good workaround for Nationwide's crappy setup. Seems KBC gives good rates but only if you move all your banking onto their system. At a bit of a loss as to what to do.

Thanks
Steeb

In a similar situation to yourself and have got some advice on my thread here. You may also find it useful!

askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=190656

I have €20,000 lump sum to start me off and want to put that in a notice account, 30 day access would be ideal, 90 seems a bit much. I could be convinced to do a fixed term of 1 or 2 years if the numbers were right.

I would suggest a Nationwide UK (Ireland) 2 year fixed term deposit at 2.10%. A great rate. Instant access subject to a 90 day interest penalty.

I want to do this online and as hands off as possible, bar manual transfers when I want to put more into the regular some months. I thought I had finally found a good setup with Nationwide UK using the combo of their Euro Notice Plus Savings Account(1.75% on €2,000 to €2,000,000) and the Euro Regular Saver Account (4.00% on €1 to €15,265.00)

Difficult to do ah-hoc lodgements from a notice account. Much easier to do it from an instant access account / current account.

However I was pipped at the post as I only want to do online banking and apparently the Nationwide UK online setup is crap. They only support Internet Explorer (what year is this?) and as a Mac user who lives in Chrome its simply not an option. I have considered wrappers like IE Tab but with no way to test if it would work its a massive gamble.

Not true. I have used Chrome with Nationwide UK (Ireland) for years. Never any issues.

Can anyone give some advise on what other options I would have or a good workaround for Nationwide's crappy setup. Seems KBC gives good rates but only if you move all your banking onto their system.

I would suggest a Nationwide UK (Ireland) Regular Saver account where you have a standing order from your current account for 200 EUR per month and you manually wire anything else you can afford up to a total of 1,000 EUR per month.

Back