"Unpaid Parent Leave" Do you still get a stamp or pension contribution frm EmployER?

Re: Parental leave

I presume it depends on the terms & conditions of your contract of employment?

No pension contributions, as you are not working. I assume from question you are on a non-contribution scheme, how long are you off for ???

Have,nt seen a contract that allows for Pension contribs during long term sickness, time off work.Covered under normal holiday, sickness periods.

Assumed question would not have been posted if T+Cs stated pension contribs were paid during long periods of absence.

Assumed question would not have been posted if T+Cs stated pension contribs were paid during long periods of absence.
Fair enough but in my experience people often ask questions on AAM that could easily be answered by referring to the terms & conditions of the relevant legal agreement so I always err on the side of caution and mention this possibility.

page from oasis provides some information regarding unpaid parental leave.

In the company I work with there is no explict mention of parental leave in the contracts of employment. They follow what they consider best practice in HR terms.

Since there is no income during the period of unpaid parental leave there is no PRSI (ER/EE) contribution.

The position is interesting in relation to people in the DB pension scheme. Employees pay the accumulated arrears on their return and have the benefit of service built up during their absence. People on the DC scheme have the option to pay arrears on their return and the company will match the contributions.

aj

Hi Clubman,

No, there's nothing in the contract that I can see. Would make it easy if there was :)

Thanks Ajapale, that's very interesting as it would mean not losing any long term benefits of your employed status, I'll investigate further on that score, cheers :)

How unpaid parental leave is handled seems to differ between employments. For instance the position for National School teachers is outlined below.

From the National Teachers Union INTO.
Unpaid Leave

Parental leave is unpaid leave.
This unpaid leave is not reckonable for pension purposes, however, it is reckonable for incremental purposes; ie your increment date is not affected by your period(s) of parental leave.
It does not constitute a break in service for PRSI purposes.
For further information, please refer to DES Circular 01/99 - Parental Leave and the more recent Parental Leave amendment stated in Circular 16/00.

It does not constitute a break in service for PRSI purposes.
But presumably there are still no EE/ER PRSI contributions being made ignoring the possibility of voluntary contributions?

Yes, I seem to remember something on the pensionsboard website about 14 weeks PRSI credits but I cant find the reference right now.

added later from the pension boards Pension Provision for Women.
What happens if I am not paying PRSI contributions?
During any period in which you are not in paid employment or in
self-employment, you will not be paying PRSI contributions and so
your benefit entitlements may be reduced. In certain circumstances,
however, you may receive PRSI credits. These credits ensure that
your social insurance record remains unbroken and may help you to
qualify for social welfare pensions or benefits in the future. Credits
are automatically given when you are entitled to
■ Unemployment Benefit
■ Disability Benefit
■ Maternity Benefit (employees only)
■ Adoptive Benefit (employees only)
■ Health & Safety Benefit
■ Invalidity Pension
■ Retirement Pension
You may be eligible for credits if you are getting Unemployment
Assistance, Pre-Retirement Allowance, Injury Benefit, Carer’s
A Guide on Pension Provision for Women
Allowance, Carer’s Benefit or while participating in certain courses.
Credits are usually awarded at the same rate as you last paid PRSI
contributions.
You may be eligible for Pre-Retirement Credits if you are retired from
the workforce, are no longer actively looking for work and are aged
55 or over. Full details of credited contributions are given in leaflet
SW12 available from the Department of Social and Family Affairs.
If you are an employee and are in receipt of Maternity Benefit from
the State, then you will be automatically awarded credits during
that period. Please note that credits are only awarded for the period
of statutory maternity leave, i.e., 18 weeks. If you avail of unpaid
maternity leave immediately following your paid leave, you will be
entitled to receive a ‘PRSI credit’ in respect of each week taken, up
to a maximum of 8 weeks. Full details are given in leaflet SW11
available from the Department of Social and Family Affairs.
If you take Parental Leave, then you may be entitled to 14 weeks of
PRSI credits.

DB pension scheme here, and employee pension contributions are mandatory during parental leave

Slave1,

If you are not getting paid during parental leave ( I assume) , how can pension contributions be paid ??? , this is a question, I am not trying to be smart.

Micheller,

Can you get back with a definitive response when you are finished your investigations ??

Hi crumdub12,

For PRSI:
I'm going to just use the information as posted by Ajapale above (thanks!) to ensure contributions are made during the leave. I'll alsol check the dept of social&family affairs website.

Doesn't matter in this case whether it will be voluntary or mandatory as the desire is to make the contribution for continuity.

Pension maybe AVC's...

Back