Removing stale/musty smell from leather couch.

F

flowerman

Just took a black leather couch and armchair out of storage this morning and Ive noticed it has a rather offputting stale/musty smell.
Chap in the storage container factory said to use a 50:50 mix of white vinegar and warm water and a cloth on the couch to remove the bad smells.Is this true?:confused:

My question is what is the best way to remove stale/musty smells and give it a more pleasing smell?
Thanks.:)

Sunlight, Fresh air n jar of fabreze. Even just in room with windows open will help.

Sunlight, Fresh air n jar of fabreze. Even just in room with windows open will help.

Serious lack of that at the moment and for the next week by the looks of it.:(

Rain,rain and more rain.

Might try the Fabreze,but am wondering will that only "mask" the smell for a while and not actually remove the smell from the leather couch and armchair?

We bought a second hand little couch for playroom, 5minutes in room house stinked...reeked of smoking..smelled like an old nightclub...few days in sunlight, fort summer weather n fabreze which is supposed to elimate odours as oppose to mask them.

bread soda n good hoover would work but ours was a velvet fabric n I was afraid...

We bought a second hand little couch for playroom, 5minutes in room house stinked...reeked of smoking..smelled like an old nightclub...few days in sunlight, fort summer weather n fabreze which is supposed to elimate odours as oppose to mask them.

bread soda n good hoover would work but ours was a velvet fabric n I was afraid...

I,ll grab a bottle of the Fabreze in the supermarket later on.

I,ll give it a go before I resort to the vinegar and warm water approach.
Thanks.:)

Try it on a hidden area of the couch for a few days to see if there is any chemical reaction to the leather

Try it on a hidden area of the couch for a few days to see if there is any chemical reaction to the leather

Thanks.I,ll try the Fabreze on the back of the couch down where the cushions sit in against the couch back itself.

Looked at the fine print on the back of the Fabreze bottle just now....."Do not use on Leather".

I can now vouch for the 50/50 mix of vinegar and distilled water.

Also some PH Neutrel liquid hand soap and some warm water mixed into a soapy lather and applied with a soft sponge works very well too.

Tried both on seperate parts of the couch today and both work very well at that too.:)

Bread soda and baking soda are one and the same ... Sodium Bicarbonate. Just don't bother using baking powder which is different :)

Back