House Contracts

P

Popsy

Hi

I signed contracts on a new house (new development) almost 2 weeks ago, However there were a couple of things my solicitor wasnt happy about. He called me this morning to ask me if I wanted to proceed with things. Im quite anxious to sort out all this and dont think the issues he has are that serious...perhaps someone can advise me, Ive to call him back this afternoon. These are all in laymans terms!

1. Any glass/glazing scratched or broken does not have to be repaired straight away, however it will be replaced/repaired within 3 months.

2. The deposit is to be released directly to the Builder straight away.

3. Builders have the right to amend/change the development or our property if they so wish.

Thanks for any advise!

part 1 - so what

part 2 - how likely is it that the builder or any builder of housing estates will go bust nowadays

part 3 - might be a cause for concern but you should consider what has happened with the other already built properties on the estate. if they are all ok i wouldnt think you would have too much to worry about.

1. Is this before completion? Very strange- if a window is broken, will it not cause more damage through dampness, wind etc?
2. This is alarming only if the house is not home bonded or if homebonded, the deposit exceeds the cover under home bond. At the very least if you insist on going ahead, get searches done against builder first.
3. Without seeing the actual clause to determine if there is something specifically alarming about it, this is standard in all developments.

Thank you both very much for the advise...much appreciated!

Re: .

3. Without seeing the actual clause to determine if there is something specifically alarming about it, this is standard in all developments.

This was in mine and i thought what youve stated above would be the case ie. its standard procedure for builders, and didnt challenge it. If it wasn't for the way the market is, i don't think they would get away with stuff like this though as surely it leaves potential for being ripped off...

Back