how to haggle for 2nd hand car

babydays

Looking to buy a 7 seater before Xmas.
Looking for 2008 or more recent.

Will buy from a dealer, cash, no trade in.

What should I offer below the asking price for the car. e.g there are a couple around 10K or 11K that we're interested in. Is there a rule of thumb of offering x percentage less than the asking price but it still being a serious offer?

It's your hard earned cash. Decide in your head how much you will spend tops and do not go over it. Then make an offer . I'd expect a thousand off straight away and that I'd have to actually haggle hard for anything else. I'd say you are a dealer's dream buying cash no trade in before the turn of the year!!!!
I sold a car privately recently and was well impressed at the neck of some hagglers

I always offer 40% below asking price if its cash and go from there. Ya don`t ask you dont get.

I recently bought a S-Max and after I was happy with the price and he wouldn't budge anymore I got next year's full service included too, everything counts!

Looking to buy a 7 seater before Xmas.
Looking for 2008 or more recent.

Will buy from a dealer, cash, no trade in.

What should I offer below the asking price for the car. e.g there are a couple around 10K or 11K that we're interested in. Is there a rule of thumb of offering x percentage less than the asking price but it still being a serious offer?

Got this from Tesco this morning. Don't know why but looks interesting...

you are a car delaers dream- looking to buy in cash in december- i'd come in at least 3k under rthe asking and start from there- at this time of year its all about moving stock cos every single car on their forecourt devalues on 1st jan. also with new budget changes 2008 cars have jsut devalued significantly

thanks a lot for the messages.

it seems that the car model we were interested is very popular at the moment. 3 I phoned about have been sold since Saturday!

Might move onto a different model.

tks for the responses.
Am going to pose another question in another thread so it doesn't get lost here. Tks everyone.

Back