Joint assessment

salaried

Hello, Myself and my wife have been married for four years I have been trying to convince her ever since that we would be better off as joint assessed so I can pay less tax by increasing my standard rate cut off point, I would appreciate any info on the subject as she would believe the forum over me, These are our earnings, Thanks in advance for your help. Wife,s - pay fortnightly Gross - 959.99 euro Nett - 768.76 euro Husbands- pay fortnightly Gross 1448.48 euro - Nett 1020.64 euro.

You should enter your details into taxcalc.ie and look at the difference.

I tried using the figures you gave. The net income comes out a bit bigger than you have quoted, but you have not told us if either of you pay VHI, pension or other salary deduction, so I ignored that.

Your salary = 37,751
Your wifes salart = 25,028

According to taxcalc, your net income is 50,239 but if you were jointly assessed it would be 51,278.

AS I saw, these numbers are not exact, as there must be other salary deduction, but they should illustrate the advantage of joint assessment.

It's quite simple! You are paying 21% tax too much on all your salary above €32,800.When you apply to be jointly assessed,make sure to get revenue to reassess the last 4 years as well.

Thanks very much for your help, I really appreciate it, You have prompted the both of us to actually contact revenue, I will let you know how it goes.

Back