Firhouse?

Its in the same block as the credit union and China House, round the corner between the hairdressers and the chipper - facing the back of the Speaker.

Great stuff will send the missus down to investigate as often in Supervalue- anything to avoid rip off Spar!!

Hi guys

Just came across this thread and would be interested in hearing up to date views on the area.

Specifically, has the traffic improved and what are the bus routes like?

Looking towards the general area of Firhouse/Ballycullen/Knocklyon and if anyone has any recommendations on any particular estates (or ones to avoid) i would appreciate it.

We are looking for a decent sized house in a settled estate with good public transport, nearby shops/local pub within walking distance if possible (we don't want much:))

Traffic has improved and bus routes have been upgraded, but depending on where you are the older bus routes might be better anyway.

As far as this thread goes not much else has changed.
If I had the choice Id way prefer Knocklyon over Firhouse - absolutely no comparison, Knocklyon is by far the nicer area.

To avoid (in Firhouse) - anything too near the halting site on the Daletree Road (actually Id avoid anything with Daletree in the title). Everywhere else is mostly fine.

Nothing to avoid in Knocklyon.

Seeing as you want to be near shops etc you would be better off looking at 'old' Firhouse, or around Oakdale/Ferncourt in 'new' Firhouse - but old Firhouse would be a far more settled area.

You wont get near a shop and pubs together in Knocklyon, shops are where the superquinn is, and the area has a pub in Delaneys, near the M50.

As far as this thread goes not much else has changed.
If I had the choice Id way prefer Knocklyon over Firhouse - absolutely no comparison, Knocklyon is by far the nicer area.

That's a bit of an extreme statement IMO. I'm from Knocklyon. I know both areas quite well. They both have their good and bad spots.

Knocklyon is technically Dublin 16 and Firhouse is technically Dublin 24 and this is reflected in the house prices.

But it's not like Firhouse is that much different. Areas like Monalea, Woodlawn, Carriglea, Carrigwood are all settled parts of Firhouse with families etc.

The bus service is jusk ok in my opinion. The 49 and 75 are not very regular. The 74 and 74a was recently discontinued. A regular 15 bus starts now up at Stocking Lane and comes down the Ballycullen road and goes across Colmcille's Way towards Knocklyon. It is not really any use to people from Firhouse.

That's a bit of an extreme statement IMO. I'm from Knocklyon. I know both areas quite well. They both have their good and bad spots.

Thats just my opinion. The OP looked for an opinion and I offered one. If I had the choice and the money Id prefer to live in Knocklyon. Im from Knocklyon and now live in Firhouse. My husband is also from Knocklyon. I know both areas like the back of my hand. Im not looking for some kind of oneupmanship on who knows the area better but I would think that its quite obvious even driving through to a stranger that Knocklyon looks like a nicer place. And while Firhouse has good and bad spots - I cant think of any bad spots in Knocklyon - can you enlighten me?

But it's not like Firhouse is that much different. Areas like Monalea, Woodlawn, Carriglea, Carrigwood are all settled parts of Firhouse with families etc.

I think both areas exhibit a huge difference. Knocklyon is way more upmarket, reflected in the amount of detached properties, house prices, nice well maintained green areas. Old Firhouse is far more rundown looking by comparison, and new Firhouse has its own problems with build quality in some of the newer areas, anti social behaviour around Daletree, issues with some residents of the social housing beside Daletree, antisocial behaviour behind the hoarding at Beechdale, and in Hunterswoods carparks. Ive lived in both old and new Firhouse in the past few years and old Firhouse is by far the more settled alright, but also more rundown.

The bus service is jusk ok in my opinion. The 49 and 75 are not very regular. The 74 and 74a was recently discontinued. A regular 15 bus starts now up at Stocking Lane and comes down the Ballycullen road and goes across Colmcille's Way towards Knocklyon. It is not really any use to people from Firhouse.

The new extended 15 bus service is massively used by people living in 'new' Firhouse, Hunterswood and surrounds is enormous, this service has much more regular buses than it used to and everyone finds it a great help. I dont know how you can say that it isnt used by people from Firhouse, it was campaigned for and finally put in place exclusively by people from Firhouse.

I live in what I would call Ballycullen would be kind of between Firhouse and knocklyon. Bus service is massively improved with the 15 going every 10 mins and 15b is there as well.
Truthseeker you talked about probs with Carparks in Hunterswood- only prob I know of was with the one inHuntershall what other ones? Also there isn't a big difference between Knocklyon and most of Firhouse both are basically made up of alot of Estates with the same type of house in them. There are SOME detached houses but not that many and nowhere near as many as would be in say Neighbouring Rathfarnham.

Hey Luckycharm, I actually meant Hunterswood and Beechdale - although things have quietened down considerably in both, but in the past both have been targets for vandalism and crime.

You not been down in the estate behind Twinks house at Superquinn or the Rookery lately eh? Plenty of detached millionaire residences there - 3 estates off the top of my head, with only detached properties in them. Very tasty, especially the one that is all detached bungalows or the one that is all individual architect designed. Not into the swiss style in the Rookery myself but a lovely leafy private estate.

Anyway, I only offered an opinion, others are free to disagree.

Hey Luckycharm, I actually meant Hunterswood and Beechdale - although things have quietened down considerably in both, but in the past both have been targets for vandalism and crime.

You not been down in the estate behind Twinks house at Superquinn or the Rookery lately eh? Plenty of detached millionaire residences there - 3 estates off the top of my head, with only detached properties in them. Very tasty, especially the one that is all detached bungalows or the one that is all individual architect designed. Not into the swiss style in the Rookery myself but a lovely leafy private estate.

Anyway, I only offered an opinion, others are free to disagree.

I have lived in Hunterswood since Phase 1 over 8 years never had any problems with vandalism or crime -what carparks were you talking about? I lived in D4 before then and had 2 cars broken into. Beechdale beside the Halting site maybe. Wasn't there also quite a bit of anti social behaviour down at Superquinn at times?

I know Twinks house which is a one off- (I nearly prefer her old house near the Orchard) as Idrone is pretty standard which is beside it and there are a couple near the rookery but that is a very SMALL percentage of Knocklyon which is mainly made up of housing estates from the last 20 years with your standard 3 bed design that every house from that period seemed to have. There are very few parts of Knocklyon I would move to from where I am but plenty of parts of Rathfarnham with much bigger houses/gardens etc.

The new extended 15 bus service is massively used by people living in 'new' Firhouse, Hunterswood and surrounds is enormous, this service has much more regular buses than it used to and everyone finds it a great help. I dont know how you can say that it isnt used by people from Firhouse, it was campaigned for and finally put in place exclusively by people from Firhouse.

This thread deals with Firhouse and one of the things the OP asked about was the bus service. There is a massive portion of Firhouse which does not benefit from the new 15 bus service i.e. the areas North of Killinniny Road. This area is not "old" Firhouse as you describe, it is the main area of Firhouse.

The area you call "new" Firhouse is really Ballycullen i.e. Hunterswood, Woodstown, Daletree etc.

Do a search on Daft for sales and lettings in "Firhouse" and then in "Ballycullen".

The OP mentioned Woodlawn Park Grove as an example. This estate does not really benefit from the new 15 bus and only really has the average 49 and 75 services nearby. A lot of people who live in the estates which border the Ballycullen Road (e.g. Monalea etc.) actually lost out as a result of the new 15 bus service which was campaigned for by the people of "new" Firhouse, because this meant the 74 was scrapped.

I have lived in Hunterswood since Phase 1 over 8 years never had any problems with vandalism or crime -what carparks were you talking about? I lived in D4 before then and had 2 cars broken into. Beechdale beside the Halting site maybe. Wasn't there also quite a bit of anti social behaviour down at Superquinn at times?

It was the carpark at Huntershall I think, wasnt there 8 cars done in just one night there once? And the carpark at Beechdale has had a number of break ins, and some vandalism and a couple of burn outs.

I never remember that kind of antisocial behaviour around Superquinn if Im honest, and I worked there for 8 years and still have friends who work there. There is a lot of anti social behaviour around both Spars in Firhouse although its petty stuff, drinking and raucousness.

As for the rest, again, Im only offering an opinion on which Id prefer if money was no object.

Hi thanks everyone for the replies!. I'm not too familiar with the area (although I don't live too far from it) so I might take a drive around it and see what area's take my fancy. If anyone could name a couple of estates around the Firhouse/Ballycullen/Knocklyon area to give me a starting point or two? Thanks in advance!

It was the carpark at Huntershall I think, wasnt there 8 cars done in just one night there once? And the carpark at Beechdale has had a number of break ins, and some vandalism and a couple of burn outs.

I never remember that kind of antisocial behaviour around Superquinn if Im honest, and I worked there for 8 years and still have friends who work there. There is a lot of anti social behaviour around both Spars in Firhouse although its petty stuff, drinking and raucousness.

As for the rest, again, Im only offering an opinion on which Id prefer if money was no object.

You said Carparks as in Plural - think that carpark got targeted once alright like alot of underground carparks. Then again I guess no cars have ever been robbed/vandalised in Knocklyon :rolleyes:
Not sure about the Spar near the Scholars maybe but never seen much anti social behaviour down at the one in Woodstown. Knocklyon is a bit closer to town and has a shopping centre and better schools both are nice safe middle class areas. If money was no object I wouldn't live in either ;)

If it were me and I was looking in Firhouse I would consider:

Carriglea
Carrigwood
Woodlawn
Kilakea

These are the areas I know of, all seem fine, settled.

In Knocklyon I don't really know of any 'no go' areas. The more desirable part of Knocklyon would be the Superquinn side of the M50. However, Woodstown is on the opposite side and I think thats a lovely estate if you were looking for a newer style of house.

In Knocklyon.....Castlefield, Glenvara Park, Glenlyon, Beverly, Delaford.....all nice estates where you'd have a chance of getting something for 300k or below.

Orlagh is nice too but it might be harder to find something within your budget.

If you've got 300k would you not consider Rathfarnham/Ballyroan/Ballyboden?

I've just had a look on myhome and there seems to be quite a few decent houses in that price range, none of which will have management fees which some of those in Firhouse/Knocklyon would have.

I'm biased I suppose having grown up in Ballyboden but I've seen some houses in Moyville for less than 300k, they're nice solid houses and the estate itself is very nice.

I've just had a look on myhome and there seems to be quite a few decent houses in that price range, none of which will have management fees which some of those in Firhouse/Knocklyon would have.

What are you on about?! There are thousands of houses in Knocklyon and Firhouse, in old and new housing estates, none of which involve management fees!

The vast majority of Knocklyon and Firhouse is made up of normal housing estates.

What are you on about?! There are thousands of houses in Knocklyon and Firhouse, in old and new housing estates, none of which involve management fees!

The vast majority of Knocklyon and Firhouse is made up of normal housing estates.

Did you not see the word "some" in my post?

Back