advice needed for the Hdip application!

LB25

I'm hoping to make a late application for the Hdip at NuiGalway and I'm trying to figure out whether my BA degree satisfies the requirements of the Teaching Council. I've read the website and the small print and it doesnt look good...I have a 2.1 BA in Sociological and Political Studies and Legal Science. I also have an LLB and an LLM but that appears to be irrelevent.
Can anyone please tell me if those subjects qualify me to apply?

I looked into this a while ago, the LLM is irrelevant as far as the TC is concerned. With sociology and politics modules you might be eligible to teach CSPE. First you have to check if the degree is recognised on the TC list (its on their website) and if it isnt then you must apply for it to be recognised. Certain criteria apply (think the subject matter must make up 30% of the degree), but these are all in the handbook on the Postgrad Applications website [broken link removed]. You can still apply for the HDip if your degree isn't on the list but you must prove you have also applied for recognition.

You need to think carefully whether you want to pursue the HDip with so few subjects, this was the major turn-off for me but on the plus side with a Masters you will get extra points in you application for entry.

Hope this helps!

My understanding is that you must have a subject with sufficient content in the final year of your degree that is a Leaving Certificate Honours subject such as Economics, in order to be registrable. What you actually teach after that is a matter for you and the school to decide. Politics, Sociology etc are not LC subjects although they would be good for CSPE, however this is only Junior Cert level.

I'm hoping to make a late application for the Hdip at NuiGalway and I'm trying to figure out whether my BA degree satisfies the requirements of the Teaching Council. I've read the website and the small print and it doesnt look good...I have a 2.1 BA in Sociological and Political Studies and Legal Science. I also have an LLB and an LLM but that appears to be irrelevent.
Can anyone please tell me if those subjects qualify me to apply?

Im curious as to what subjects you want to/feel qualified to teach?

...Well CSPE seeing as thats the only subject I took to degree level. Ideally I would teach history. Anyway I have decided to try to return to college to do a Masters in History, if no legal apprenticeship has arisen by September. Perhaps that way I could continue to teaching afterwards.

Not sure if what I say will be of any help but heres goes...probably more of a rant.

In my experience anyone can start to teach CSPE and build up ur experiences through actually teaching the course and through inservices. Having a genuine interest in teaching the subject is needed. Request to start with first years is an excellent introduction to CSPE.

There was a very interesting article a few weeks back in the Galway Independent concerning a qualified teacher subbing in a sec sch in Galway where three unqualified teachers were teaching. The whole ethos of the Teaching Council is, in my understanding, to have qualified teachers teaching their qualified subjects so to avoid situtions like an art teacher teaching history etc.

I have paid my fee €90 every year and have never received any certification of registeration. This €90 was going to mean the TC would be self sufficient not replying on gov payments. This year I am not paying it in march. Last year the booklet on how to pay ur money stated if u did not pay there would be extras fees in rejoining [the staff could not find out how much only that to not pay ur money would meet immense paperwork(?)]

Also a friend of mine is involved in teaching outside main stream but was being paid by DES. On taking up her employment she was told she needed to submit a TC certificate every year. She rang TC who told her you dont get a certificate just for putting your name down on a list and to tell her employment the cert was pending. Her DES pay check has never failed to arrive.

LB25, if you intend to teach history, check with the Teaching Council, that that Masters is recognised for teaching. Also there will be very few teaching jobs, for a combination of CSPE, and history.

LB25, if you intend to teach history, check with the Teaching Council, that that Masters is recognised for teaching. Also there will be very few teaching jobs, for a combination of CSPE, and history.

Very true.

Back