Unfair Disciplinary

L

liz2810

Hello,

I just needed some advice as I recently changed my availability which was signed as being OK. Basically I only work on a wednesday through the week.

However, for some reason I was given a shift on a tuesday as this was my past availability and I didn't realise it was a tuesday because when i seen the shift on the rota I assumed it was on the wednesday because that's the only day I work.

On the tuesday I got a phone call asking why I wasn't there, I explained to them and now they're taking me through disciplinary procedures. I expect to recieve a letter at the weekend when I'm next in work.

I just wanted advice on whether there should even be any action as it's not really my fault they got my availability wrong. Any advice given I would be grateful for.

Thank You

Explain at the meeting, simple error. Make sure they understand the backround, if possible give a reason why you couldnt work the Tuesday (or any Tuesday) and advise that you should not be penalised for an admin error. Dont forget to take a representative to the meeting.

Well they did let you change your availability so the first mistake is theirs for giving you Tuesday. Does the rota clearly state the relevant day of each shift? If not, then it is completely unfair, but if the day was made clear on the rota, then they are within their rights to take disciplinary action if the company procedures and management support that decision. And if you've had any prior disciplinary incidents or problems then you probably can't do anything to stop the process, just hope it's not a sackable offence and try not to be confrontational. But what I think I would do, I'd try to talk privately beforehand to someone involved, a manager or someone in the HR dept (if applicable) that you get on with or that you think would be sympathetic to you - if you have a quiet word with someone like that and explain your side, giving a formal apology, that may calm things down and avert the action! Whatever you do though, stay calm and keep the head cool, don't get their backs up even more! Good luck!

Thank you both for your advice.

Calebs Dad, I will explain it is an admin error and its a genuine mistake on both parts and I will take someone in the meeting with me.

Clars1909, there are days stated on the rota which yes on my part was a mistake to just assume it was a wednesday but as the availability had been changed and the week before I was given the right shifts on the Wednesday. This is were I'm getting a bit confused as it's their mistake aswell as my own. So I'm hoping to just explain the situation but they're so petty and unprofessional in my work. If they have any chance to put a note on your file they'll do it.

I've never had any problems in the past couple of years I've worked there, i'm a very reliable member of the team so I guess I'll just have to argue my case. I'm going to phone HR once I receive the letter for some advice.

Thanks

Does the rota say for example "Tues 27 Jan 2009" or again for example "27/01/2009"?

The first example is fairly clear but I believe the second is open to incorrect interpretation.

IME producing rotas for staff monthly in advance, I produce a matrix with days of the week across the columns (Monday to Sunday or whatever) the dates underneath, the staff names down the rows and the shift-hours in the cells. I colour in the cells for the days individuals aren't available. Foolproof, even me-proof as I can see where hours aren't covered in advance.

The rota just says week commencing '29th January' then mon, tue, wed etc it doesn't say friday 30th.....saturday 31st etc.

I mean, it's not the rota that's the problem. I've never had any problems like this before. It's just me looking down at my name going across the days and just seeing this shift in the middle of the week and assuming because I only work Wednesdays thats the day I'm in work. It's really just one big misunderstanding. I'd be furious if I had this go on my file.

Back