Hydrangea plant care

john martin

I bought a Hydrangea in a pot in Lidl and it looks very healthy. Could anyone suggestion the best type of location for this plant? Would it do ok if in a large pot and what kind of compost would be best?I have never had one of these before.

They like good quality well drained soil, and really seem to thrive in most places in Ireland. The PH of the soil will affect the colour, for example my white ones start to go pinkish as the soil in Dublin is alkaline, whereas in other parts or Ireland acidic soil will give a blueish hue. They are pretty hardy also. I'd recommend you plant it out and it can start to take root for this year's blooms

Ours are really good this year. Huge flower heads. They seem to like lots of water. We introduced two Annabel variety (white) to our garden this year. One of them died and the other is coming along fine. We prune them back every year.

Do not dead head the flower heads until after frost gone next spring as they protect next years flowers during winter. Also the wetter the spring the better the flowers will be in summer. Thats why they are so good this year.

Back