How much compensation should customers of Ulster bank receive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Embarrassment at being made leave behind a weeks shopping. People pointing at you and staring thinking "that man has no money". I am sure a clever barrister would make a defamation case out of it.
What defamation though? What slur on your character occurred? Does having no money/being poor mean you are a bad person/of bad character? I'm sure it was very unpleasant and embarrassing but it's not like being accused of shoplifting which is obviously a major slur on a person's character if untrue. And Ulster Bank's problems were well known to shops etc. - when my credit card was refused, I just made some comment about how crap Ulster Bank were and that was that. I find it bizarre that people pointed at you (really? people? more than one person?) - but that says more about their character than yours...

Didn't they issue a statement to the press early last week saying they hadn't lost any customers as a result of the recent problems?

They did.

It is only true because they would not allow anyone to actually close their accounts.

Given things seem to be back to normal for almost everyone for the past week or so I was expecting Ulster Bank to have announced something on how they will compensate people by now - has anyone heard anything or noticed any form of compensation in their accounts? I had my U-First fee waived for last month (even though I haven't actually been informed by UB that this was done in response to the mess, I'm just assuming it was!), has anyone else had any compensation applied to their accounts? The longer it goes on without any announcement the more sceptical I become that UB intend to do nothing more than reimburse anyone who was hit with fees or interest charges as a result of the fiasco.

They appear to have forgiven and forgotten......themselves, I made a payment to my UB cc on-line last week, managed to take the money from my account but it hasn't reached credit card account, so they charged me late fee and interest, hillarious!

I won't be moving. In fact I think we all should be thanking them for giving us a dose of reality of what can occur nowadays with over-reliance on technology. What we saw in the last few weeks was how everyone managed their affairs pre 90's where there were no atm machines, you queued up in a branch for cash, you cashed cheques in certain placesd who knew you, you brought cash or travellers cheques on holidays, you allowed for the fact that at weekends your choices were limited. There were more than plan A and B if things took an unexpected turn. I think the ESB should be encouraged to strike and fuel importers should take a break. Then we all get a chance to see how we cope with that.

Why don't we just revert to living in caves and be done with it?

My account seems to be flying again and no issues since the beginning of last week. I wonder they forgive and forget themselves??

salary from 22 june 2010 still not credited to my UB account

just wondering if people are still waiting for transfers into their accounts.

my weekly salary from 4 weeks ago still not credited to my account and utility bill amount did not reach utility company- I am absolutely furious at the half hearted "we apologise for the inconvenience but it will be fixed in due course" speach I receive on the phone originally from the helpline and now from complaints handling centre. My account is in the red by 400 euro & rising. UB staff don't take your name, make any effort to check my account. Im fit to be tied at the minute. To be honest I had no interest in compensation but at this rate my blood pressure is hitting the roof it will take more than 100 euro to get it down to normal again.

I wrote to financial ombudsman who referred my complaint to UB, also to my own branch. I received a call from complaints handling centre and they have asked for 10 days to investigate, may ask for more if they need more time. I completely understand the technical problems they are having, what disgusts me is their attitude when speaking to them on the phone - they practice what they are going to say to customers but when you ask them questions they have a cheeky reply. All I want is my salary.

RBS is under the same umbrella as Ulster bank and about 3 weeks about weeks ago there was a huge mess up in the UK with RBS which is my and my RBS debit card was stopped while shopping, but nobody pointed at me.

I moved to the Halifax and I go £100 for moving my account to them as they wanted to attraced now customer as they open new branch. I also get £5 a month if I depost it 1k a month with them. :)

RBS is the process of moving some of there customer over to Santander bank If custome did not inform RBS that they did not want their account to be moved to Santander then the bank did it automatically. :rolleyes:

Still no bank statement. I had to insist that they dump a screen and send it to me in the post. Customer service did not want to do this but when I finally contacted the branch they obliged.

Any one hear anything yet about their compensation, just interested to hear what its going to be?

Any one hear anything yet about their compensation, just interested to hear what its going to be?

I posted this in the other thread :

Just got a call from UB Complex Quieries Dept.
Basically they are now working on a compensation policy and are awaiting approval from the Irish Regulator at present.

I was told it would be available in the next few days/week.

The regulator will not allow that to happen.
The Central Bank wants Ulster Bank to write to all its affected customers and outline how it is going to refund and make a payment to them, rather than have them apply for compensation.

The regulator will not allow that to happen.

I have very little confidence in Regulators in this Country,the hinges are still hanging off the stable door as far as I am concerned and there are a few lads standing round caps lifted scratching their heads in puzzlement wondering how to fix it with a roll of tape and some blutac.

We shall see,fingers crossed.

Anybody get a call about compensation yet?
I just did.

UB are still in talks with the regulator and consumer assiciations etc in regards to a universal offer, but they are trying to narrow down the field or list of disgruntled customers by offering cash compensation offers.
I wont say how much i was offered, and i was very very lightly affected by the whole fiasco tbh, but im happy to accept it.
Just hope im not shooting myself in the foot for a future universal offer, but in fairness, i dont want to be greedy either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back