Pension levy on DC schemes to fund deficits in DB schemes

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other words, the increased taxes on deposit interest of late have effectively knocked 25% off my ultimate proceeds, this is far worse than even a 0.6% levy over the same period.
Yes, but at least you have the choice to move your savings elsewhere if you don't like the deposit interest/DIRT structure. You could pay down your mortgage (effectively earning 4-5% gross if you're on a variable rate), buy and hold shares (concentrating on ones which favour capital growth over dividends), you could invest in property, anything you like really - knowing that if the tax structure changes, you can make a new choice. But once your money is locked away in a pension, you are 100% at the mercy of whatever tax changes the government wants to make - increased levy, exit taxes, reduced or removed tax free amounts, reduced contributory pension because you were kind enough to provide for yourself...

So you can't make a fully informed choice today - the current tax implications might make the pension look better today but by the time you can access your money, tax changes along the way may have made your choice a very poor one.

Say I have €100 to put away for 40 years and can get a long term rate of 3% on deposit savings gross of tax.

If PRSI didn't apply and DIRT was 20% (as it was a few years ago), I'd have €258 after 40 years.

Applying a total of 45% PRSI and DIRT (current situation), I'd have €192 after 40 years.

In other words, the increased taxes on deposit interest of late have effectively knocked 25% off my ultimate proceeds, this is far worse than even a 0.6% levy over the same period.

Is that not apples or oranges. I pay dirt on the interest I receive. I will pay the levy even if my pension fund loses 90% of its value. It's like the Government deciding to tax negative interest accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back