Best way to get rid of dampness?

censuspro

I just bought a house and there is a bit of dampness in two of the bedrooms because the room isn't properly ventilated. The overall moisture levels are fine, it's just these two bed rooms.

What is the best way to get rid of the dampness? I was going to put a de-humidiefier in the room to get rid of the damp in the corners and then drill a vent in the wall.

Any thoughts?

Damp doesn't just appear, it has to come from somewhere - up through floors or walls, from leaking pipes or tanks, through roofs or ceilings, from leaking gutters. The measures you describe may eliminate the worst of the symptoms, but I think you'll need to undertake some investigation work.

I rented a house a good few years back and we had an issue with dampness. The landlord said that it was because we weren't opening the window when we were having a shower (we were). It the end plaster board started to crumble under the stairs (no where near the shower) and when we moved out he refused to return the deposit as the damp was our fault!.... needless to say he didn't get his last months rent...

Did you get a survey done before you bought?

Got a survey done, had the moisture levels checked and overall the house is fine apart from dampness in the two bedrooms. The house was build circa 1960 so it's common with houses that old.

Back