Odd reporting of political affiliations of criminals by Irish Times and RTE

Irish Times continues the irrelevant reporting

Former FF councillor Gary O’Flynn jailed for theft

This is the bit which people need to read:
Mr Higgins had gone to see O’Flynn who was working with a company called [broken link removed] who charged him €50 for a consultation and offered to restructure his debts with two banks.

O’Flynn arranged for Mr Higgins to pay €40 a week to one financial institution and €22.50 a week to another with both sums to be paid into a bank account nominated by O’Flynn.

In this particular case, he is a former County Councillor and is the son of a former FF TD, brother of a current councillor.
I think it very relevant that these credentials are reported by the media, especially as his father made a plea for him during the trial.

At the time, I found the reporting in the Philip Sheedy affair to be odd, in that it generally referred to him as "architect Philip Sheedy".

Similarly, there is case, which has yet come to trial, where the accused is also an architect, and is referred to as "architect Joe Bloggs".

I don't understand why they do this. Is it to differentiate the individual from others who may share the same name ?

And, before you post, NO, I am not an architect :p.

At the time, I found the reporting in the Philip Sheedy affair to be odd, in that it generally referred to him as "architect Philip Sheedy".

Similarly, there is case, which has yet come to trial, where the accused is also an architect, and is referred to as "architect Joe Bloggs".

I don't understand why they do this. Is it to differentiate the individual from others who may share the same name ?

And, before you post, NO, I am not an architect :p.

I think it's a class thing. They are giving a message that 'this isn't your standard gangland killing'. It's not hugely relevant (to them) that he is an architect. It is hugely relevant (to them) that he is a professional. It's the same reason that they'll tell you what part of the city he comes from.

No mention of FF in the headline, but it is mentioned in the first line of the article;

[broken link removed]

Back