Joint Accounts & Bereavement

oldenburg

My wife died recently and I wrote to bank and other orgs to inform them. All acknowledged except bank. Then I got a phone call from my pension provider asking if I had changed my bank as the bank had returned their pension lodgement. Then our refuse bin was not collected, refuse company said my DD had been cancelled by bank. Phoned bank, very little satisfaction except that in the case of joint accounts, when one person dies, the survivor must open a new account which for an oldie and 50 year customer is a major operation in terms of docs required. Then some days later the bank manager phoned to apologise and promised to sort things out. The first time I spoke to a bank manager in 50 years. But he did not say why the bank took such drastic with out informing me. Other fin. orgs are also giving me worry and stress with complicated instructions and seeking docs that I do not have e.g. passport, driving licence, ID card, late wife's signature. This joint account/bereavement situation must be a fairly common occurrence.
Is the new account a legal or a bank requirement.
Any advice would be appreciated.
PS My current account was well funded.

Thank you SoylentGreen. Good info on Google.
My account was 'Either' but the 'Survivor' part was new to me.
The advice of one oldie help org. was to go to Fin. Ombudsman but based on his site and thread on this forum I do not think that this is an option - yet.
Have I any other redress.

Back