silver birch tree lidl

Jane Doe

Seen silver birch tree at lidl for 20 euro/ Any comments advice . Would it be good to buy. How near a wall can it be planted?

Better go to an Irish nursery. 20 Euro for a Silver Birch is outrageous unless it's a pretty large tree. It is a lovely native tree though.
A good nursery with mail order is http://www.futureforests.net/
I just checked to see their current prices.
1 ft: 1.50 Euro
5-6ft : 7-10 Euro, large tree w. 8-10 cm girth: 25 Euro
No affiliation. Just a happy customer.
In any case, I'd say most nurseries would carry them.

I've seen those in Lidl and you will get better healthier specimens from a nursery for around the same money or maybe less.

I'd second what chook says about Future Forests. I've bought a fair few trees off them over the years and the quality is good. Huge selection too. Never bought any mail order though.

I bought apple trees in Lidl a few years ago and despite all my efforts they have failed to produce anywhere near the amount of fruit that the nursery bought ones planted next to them have.

Tesco also had fruit trees, buy one get one free. few yaers ago I got three cherry blossoms in Dunnes Stores for €30, they never do much. Id spend my money in a garden centre.

With regard to the trees from Lidl, I bought an apple tree there and someone I met told me not to eat the fruit from the tree because they are genetically modified. This lady told me that she planted apple trees from Lidl that grew apples on one side and plums on the other, she said they won't dare to eat the fruit from them..

That's not so much gentically modified in the sense you're probably thinking about (in a lab at a cellular level) but normal crossing of different strains. If you plant a seed from an apple tree you won't get a tree producing apples of the same type. If you want the same kind of apples as one tree produces then you have to graft a cutting from that tree onto a rootstock in order for it to grow. If a plum root stock was used and allowed to regrow, it's very possible that you could have both on one tree - the only requirement is that the rootstock and graft are closely enough related. Which is how you get orange and lemon trees.

At the very least she should contact lidl to find out why it happened rather than scaremongering like that imo.

Back