Auctioneer refusing to show house that is for sale

poolfanabc

Hi,

I had an interesting experience recently with an auctioneer. I have been looking at properties over past couple of months.

This particular house was up on Daft, however no pictures were added. I contacted the autcioner after ~1week of it being released for sale.

He didn't return the call, however I followed up with a 2nd call later the same day. He explained that he did not want to show me the property, as there were already two cash bidders who had already viewed the house, the bidding already being above what seller wanted, so he basically said he didn't want anyone else being involved, especially as I may have to sell before I can buy. He said it was very unusual for bidding to be this hot, stating that the people really liked the area and were waiting for right property (we are talking countryside outside Dublin, not D4)

My thoughts are he is either

• he just wants a quick sale to get commission, however is not acting with best interest of the seller as not advertising the property well, unless he is already under clear instructions from them to only accept cash bids (which he didn't state)
  • he is protecting the property from interested parties as he/friend/relative have an interest in purchasing it on the cheap
Having already got a low opinion of auctioneers, what do people think of this situation and the conduct of this particular auctioneer. Is it professionally acceptable or just the usual behaviour we come to expect from this profession?

Had you dealt with this auctioneer before? If he knew that you were not a cash buyer, he was quite right not to let you get involved in the process.

Having said that, he should have returned your call.

If he did not know your situation, then it would be very suspect. But don't underestimate their incompetence either.

Knock on the door and let the owners know.

Brendan

He explained that he did not want to show me the property, as there were already two cash bidders who had already viewed the house, the bidding already being above what seller wanted, so he basically said he didn't want anyone else being involved, especially as I may have to sell before I can buy.

That explaination sounds perfectly plausable to me. Basically he's saying to you that he doesn't want to time waste now that he has his sale, above asking price, seller is happy, cash buyers are king, and you're only trouble as you're joining in now, and you've to sell first.

The story could be plausible but it sounds similar to a story I heard last year about a guy who was given the run around by estate agent; similar to that of the OP; only to discover the EA and occupiers were in cahoots. Their game was to prove that the property was up for sale whilst distracting buyers. All a show put on for the benefit of a mortgage provider.

Back