Views on appropriate amount to spend on Christmas gift for godchild?

apple1

Folks,
New to this godfather business and wondering what is the appropriate amount to spend on a Christmas gift for a 6 month old godchild? Thanks in advance, apple1

Really don't think the amount matters at all. Definitely it is the thought that counts. After all a six month old won't be critical! A book is a nice idea. My two loved the 'amazing baby' books if that helps at all.

Its a sad situation in todays world when you worry that your ability to be a 'good godfather' is measured by how much you spend on the child.

Don't mean to sound rude, but bit of a silly post. We know nothing about the child or its family or their expectations. So we would not know if £5, £50 or £500 would be an appropriate amount.

Just buy it something nice.
seems like you're the only one putting a figure on it. it does sound like a rude reply to call a post silly. never ceases to amaze me why people feel the need to reply to posts they find "silly".why not just ignore it

For our godchildren we always get something a bit special for the 1st Christmas, 1st Birthday and First Holy Communion etc but otherwise its the normal pressie.

Thanks Sean. As I outlined in original post, I'm new to "godfathering" and keen to avoid an inappropriate gift, hence the question looking for opinions. It's the kids first Christmas & I've no idea whether it's appropriate just to buy a token present or something more 'substantial'. The family is what I'd call an ordinary "5/8'ths" family (if that makes any difference). I've seen several threads here from folks asking what is an appropriate Christening gift, yet they didn't meet with responses suggesting they were silly questions.

RMCF....if you've nothing constructive to offer when, I suggest you keep yours opinions to yourself. I've seen many many posts here that I thought "to me that appears like a silly question" but obviously if the poster has a reason for asking, its because he/she is looking for a constructive opinion.

The raison d'etre of these boards is to provide a forum for soliciting opinions from others on issues/queries that a person deems they would like/need input or advice other's on. Similarly, their value is in folks contributing in a meaningful constructive way as opposed to offering rude and critical responses.

I'm not sure AAM would serve as quite an informative "community" if every query was met with "that's a silly question".

Fair Play Apple1, I reckon if you're not interested in replying to the post then just move on.
I myself have been answered by replies to my questions that were just unnecessery and unhelpful.

But with regard to your question I find the whole thing with getting pressies for nieces/nephews etc stressful.

I have a godchild who is 10 now and I spend the same amount on them all but I always get him that bit extra than the others.

I also have a new godchild now, this is his first Xmas and I bought a Newbridge silver Xmas deccoration for the tree and got it engraved with 1st Xmas 2007
something that can come out every Xmas and he'll always have it.
Just a thought, they cost in and around €20 to €30

Try not to out do santa or the parents. Try not to get something too big as baby stuff can take up alot of space. What about something useful like a high chair, walker etc

To be honest, just try to remember Christmas/birthdays every year. My eldest childs godfather bought her first present for her when she was 2 1/2

On a practical note, maybe you should try to ensure that you don't set a precedent by being overgenerous initially and then find yourself cutting back on the amount spent in the coming years.

For what it's worth my gifts to godchildren are more token than splashing out - as suggested, a book is always good.

For what it's worth my gifts to godchildren are more token than splashing out - as suggested, a book is always good.

Hmmmm..I had a godfather like you.....I preferred my godmother she gave cool presents

Hmmmm..I had a godfather like you.....I preferred my godmother she gave cool presents

Well having 6 (no less) godchildren as well as nieces/nephews I have adopted the less is more approach :D

And I got feck all from my godparents so I'm taking it out on this generation ;)

I have 2 godchildren and the thing I like to do most is spend time with them. One lives in Wales and so I make an effort to go to her birthday party every second year. When I visit I always spend time with her on her own and take her shopping and for lunch/hot chocolate that kind of think.
The other lives in the west so when I visit I always spend time and take him out for lunch etc. I make an effort to watch him play sports. Every christmas we spend a day shopping since he was quite young (he's nearly 15) I help him buy presents for his parents, sister and godfather.If I haven't thought of something to buy for him he gets to pick his present but he knows the budget - which has changed from year to year and depends on how well my cash flow is and he understands that. This year he gets nothing as I took him to a rugby world cup match so that's covering christmas/birthday.
I like to be there for both of them as opposed to just sending a card/present.Both of them have come to me and asked advice etc that they don't want to go to parents with.

On a practical note, maybe you should try to ensure that you don't set a precedent by being overgenerous initially and then find yourself cutting back on the amount spent in the coming years.

Totally agree. My now 20 year old Godson asked me if I would buy him an Xbox for Xmas this year!! I've always bought him special presents but as cash is tight this year & I've 6 other god children and 12 other nieces/nephews he won't be getting it.

so do your nieces/nephews/godchildren buy you anything Batty??

I've become increasingly fed up over the past few years at how much money gets spent.

I have 4 siblings all of which have rejected the idea of doing a kris kindle between the 5 of us because Xmas is expensive enough yet both of my older sisters (3 kids each) have very kindly told me to not spend more than €20-€30 on each of their kids.

I have spent €250 so far this year on them which is what I budgeted for, I'm not saying I don't want to buy them presents and I love seeing their little faces when they're opening them but not one year so far have I had even a token from either of my sisters to say things for spoiling their kids.

Am I being mean?

Hubby is Godfather to his nephew (now 20mths old), for his first Christmas we got him the Newbridge Silver tree decoration that you can put a photo in (€10) and also a set of 2006 coins in a presentation sleeve from the GPO (about €20) to mark the year he was born.

As previous posters have said we also try spend as much time with him as we can,he lives in the UK. As he is so young don't go mad and do ask the parents if there is anything that they really actually need for the little one. Happy shopping.

Folks,
New to this godfather business and wondering what is the appropriate amount to spend on a Christmas gift for a 6 month old godchild? Thanks in advance, apple1

Apple, don't know if it's a boy or a girl, but I got my 3 month old niece a musical box for Christmas - bought it online for about €50 incl. delivery. When they're so young, they have no idea what's going on so it's more something that I think their parents will appreciate on their behalf...

HTH

M

Last edited:
Why not do a Kris Kindle and include both adults and children in it.

Consumerisim gone mad.

Back