Vietnam

wrixon

any recommendations for a 2/3 week visit to Vietnam in late March early April for 2 adults.
Have seen local tour operators offering good deals, ie asiatouradvisor.com and an English operator called holiday-n-adventures.co.uk , but not sure if any of these are reliable.
Would appreciate any help from anyone who has visited this region
Wrixon

Been a few years - but is it really necessary for you to sign up with a specific tour? Can't you book flights and do the rest by way of research - and when on the ground - on the fly?

It's different - I'll give it that! I only explored Northern Vietnam. I was told by fellow travelers that the south is a completely different animal. Was told that people were a lot warmer in the south. Notwithstanding that, I had the experience of meeting some locals on a train - ended up going to the market, buying the ingredients for dinner - and they whipped up a gorgeous vietnamese meal on a simple charcoal grill. The best hooch (god knows what the hell it was) and tobacco (i don't smoke - but I felt that it would be impolite to refuse) was brought out. An experience that will stay with me until I pop my clogs...and you WONT get that on an organised tour. Also visited ha long bay - which if I remember correctly is a unesco site. Hanoi - worth a day or two..but vietnam is a rough diamond. Visited the war museum - shocking stuff ..as I guess you could imagine.

In any event, I think you are asking in the wrong space. Take a trip over to the tripadvisor forum - do some reading up there and post some specific questions...and map your trip out that way.

I did 17 days last November starting in Ho Chi Minh city and working our way up to Hanoi.
Did an easy rider day in Da Lat which was great and got to see a lot of local industries. Hoi An is a must. I think I could back there or a week in itself. War museum in Ho Chi Minh
city is worth a visit as is a DMZ tour. Ha long bay was wonderful too. We did Na Trang but felt like he canaries. Would have liked to have spent more time in Hoi an and Hue instead. We booked everything as we went apart from first few nights accommodation. It's very easy.

The backbone of the Vietnamese rail network is the line running all the way up through the country from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi. You could use that as the basis of your trip - and build your itinerary around it. You can visit the places niceoneted mentions - breaking up the journey on the way up and on the way back down.

My entry into the country involved a 48 hour bus journey from Vientiane (Laos) to Hanoi...another experience never to be forgotten (not always for the right reasons!).

One other thing. I flew into Ho Chi Minh city as it was much cheaper than Hanoi. I travelled northwards, then getting an internal flight I booked myself after arriving from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh city for my return leg. It was quite cheap think 50 euro.

Not sure if its ok to post this, but saw this deal and thought it was good.
[broken link removed]

Obviously check the likes of tripadvisor for hotels and cross reference prices.

I'd recommend an overnight boat trip on a 'Junk' in Halong Bay, just outside Hanoi in northern Vietnam. This was the highlight of my trip 4 years ago in Vietman. A day trip on the Mekong Delta is also recommended, just south of HCMC. Hoi An is a great spot mid way between HCMH & Hanoi. Don't go overboard on tailored clothes - the quality isn't great. Enjoy the trip!

I loved the Dalat area which you have to go up Marble Mountain to access. Easy Rider tours are great so I'd second those.
Also I agree with pugwall. It's very easy to go overboard on the tailored clothes in Hoi An. Unless you know exactly what you want before you go you can end up buying things just because it seems like a good deal.
Enjoy. I found Vietnam fascinating. If you have the time Cambodia is well worth a visit too.

Over 10 years ago now but...Cu Chi (for the tunnels) definitely worth a look, and the Mekong Delta was good. Wasnt as captivated by Ho Chi Minh (Saigon). Hoi An is nice, nothing much to detain you in Hue. Really liked Hanoi, great food. Halong Bay is worth a look, and there's a boat trip to Perfume Pagoda that's great. All v touristy but "authentic experiences" can be found in any semi-d in Ireland, you go abroad for the good bits.

You can bus it up Highway 1, wasnt as bad as predicted from what I recall.

hi wrixonshea
just wondering did you go on the trip, what was it like and what was the best route to fly from ireland as i have booked the 17 day trip and now looking at flights

Back