400euro to extract 2 teeth in child

leelee

please tell me someone else agrees

my 8 year old had 2 teeth taken out in dental hospital, using gas (not asleep just relaxed by the gas) - has had few fillings done with same procedure and it cost 65 euro. bill arrived for 2 teeth out for 400 euro..... shocked....all done within half hour, front teeth, no stitches and by dentist still doing exams but a senior - invoice was 200 per tooth extracted.

ok we are also to blame for not asking the cost but have been in discussion about a retainer (reason for extractions is over crowding) and made them aware we needed to keep costs to a minimum. Presumed the extractions would be same cost as normal procedures like with our family dentist (if not cheaper than a filling as it normally is)...

i have written to them and hope this was a computer error on the invoice but presume it wasn't....

My son had to have 4 teeth removed due to over-crowding when having his braces fitted. The dentist charged €40 per tooth and used the usual injections.

Perhaps your costs were so high because there was an anesthetic involved and maybe an anesthestist was present during the procedure?

just got reply saying bill didn't sound right! thankfully.... it is being queried now

Thats good news for you. €400 is alot for 2 teeth.

Let us know how you get on and what the revised bill is!

The gas would have had to have been administered by an anesthetist so there would be an extra charge for this too, remember.

i got one tooth just recently extracted and it cost me € 150 including X-Ray beforehand and full Anesthetic (through injection). € 400 sounds an aweful lot!

My daughter had to get teeth extracted too before orthodontic work, however we were able to get it done at local clinic so no cost. Job done perfectly.

Had a tooth extracted a few months ago, it cost €50 with my PRSI.
When we were kids it was always gas. There was no anesthetist then, why now?

roker, Dentistry has moved on a lot since we (or at least since I) was a kid. There is no way (and rightly so), that a dentist would or should administer gas now whilst extracting a tooth at the same time - best practice and all.

The price has moved on for sure, never heard of kids having any problems with gas in the past, why should it take a dentists and an anaesthetist now if they require gas.

update..... contacted them and wrong tick put in the box! thankfully the correct price was 110 ie. 55 per tooth extracted!! worth querying! norm price if knocked out under full anesthic was 200 per tooth

Back