How long to stay in the UK following a BR order

Steve/Bronte;
You are both excellent at being inquisitive and informative.

That's nice to get positive feedback Gerry, I do sometimes wonder do I ask too many questions, and feel that I'm getting repetative. Hopefully some of the Irish bankrupts are helped by the threads on here. Still cannot understand why we don't have a user friendly bankruptcy/insolvency system.

How DonJuan did you manage to persuade the OR for no income payment order? How did he decide that there should have been one in the first place?

Hi Bronte

I wrote to the OR and asked them to reconsider. I told them that money was already very tight and that I needed it to pay for lots of things that i would otherwise be unable to do. I also said that it was an immaterial amount to my creditors to receive 480 pounds per year. Thankfully they were reasonable and removed it. Have to say its at times like that it was great to be able call up steve and get his advice.

Hi all, I'm a bit freaked out by this thread. I've recently signed up with a firm well known in the media to go through this process, and I'm concerned that they are the ones referred to in a negative way here. Is there any chance someone could PM me and tell me who this firm is? I'm a few weeks into the process and really, really don't want to leave anything to chance. Thanks.

After I got my order, I continued to live in the jurisdiction until I was discharged. I wasn't going to risk getting the order overturned on the basis of non compliance with the Official Receiver. It was a tough year but worth it, as one of the (former) creditors checked up on my new address and sent an collection agency out to me (which was then politely referred to the OR). I think that the agency were appointed to establish whether or not I was living where I claimed I was (which I had been and continued to do so until date of discharge). From my experience, I'd recommend getting proper legal advice and asking the OR to explain what exactly you can and can't do as some of the restrictions are a bit excessive, e.g. I had to get written permission to leave the country to go on holiday for a week but I played ball and it was well worth it in the end.

Has anyone ever heard of a bankruptcy being over turned because I person asked to to go back home? Like if there was a real possibility of better employment?? Does that make sense!!?

Has anyone ever heard of a bankruptcy being over turned because I person asked to to go back home? Like if there was a real possibility of better employment?? Does that make sense!!?

You should bear in mind that if your income was above a certain level before you were discharged then you would be open to having your extra income taken for 3 years from that point. Coming home for more income may mean prolonging your bankruptcy.

Sorry, I am talking about a person returning home because the job was better not necessarily the wages!!

Hi all, I'm a bit freaked out by this thread. I've recently signed up with a firm well known in the media to go through this process, and I'm concerned that they are the ones referred to in a negative way here. Is there any chance someone could PM me and tell me who this firm is? I'm a few weeks into the process and really, really don't want to leave anything to chance. Thanks.[/QUOTEyyy

A few weeks after the OR meeting - especially if it's a relatively straightforward process.

suarez is there a good reason you are replacing all your posts with nonsense characters? It will stymie others reading the thread who are perhaps looking for help.

Socrates - I probably erred by recommending other insolvency companies - which has been construed as advertising. It seems that only one - possibly 2 - are allowed self promote on this site. UncleMonty's comments were removed as they attempted to suggest contacting specific UK insolvency companies that offer free live chat options for any initial enquiries. Certain insolvency experts charge 250 for initial face to face meeting and UncleMonty's suggestion of alternative live chat options were deleted. It's important for Irish people to know that there are choices out there.

Back