Teachers and CIDs : 'Contract of Indefinite Duration'

Judybaby73

Does anyone know anything about CID's and have any Teachers out there received them yet? Also can anyone define what they mean by "viable" in the literature?

Thanks

Re: Contract of indefinite duration

These ensure that teachers who have been working in temporary jobs for a certain no. of years (is it 4?) must be offered a permanent position if available in the school. They cannot be retained indefinitely on temporary contracts. I'm not sure what the "viable" refers to as I would need to se the context. Could it be to do with the fact that the position is deemed necessary in the school based on pupil numbers. Maybe you could clarify with relevant quotations

Hi there Brokeparent and thanks for the reply....therefore teachers are not automatically entitled to these contracts? example: if a teacher is teaching in the PLC sector for 6 years and has a large number of students is it up to the VEC/Dept of Education to see who is entitled to a CID?

AFAIK a contract of indefinite duration must be offered to teachers who have put in a certain amount of service in a school. I'm not definite on the numbers but I think it is after 4 cinsecutive years on a temporary contract. Employers don't have any choice in this except the job must be warranted - schools can't just appoint someone on a contract of indefinite duration without fulfilling the necessary criteria for creating a post. Where these contracts score is in preventing people being let go on a whim after giving good service in a school. It should also discourage the practice of employing temporary staff when a permanent position is available.

It may be of interest for you to realise that the CID you are offered as of right after you have been employed for 4 years in one school/vec scheme,will be for a number of hours of not less than what you were contracted in year 4.this is very important-so if you hd 14 hours in year 4 you are entitled to be offered 14 or more in your CID. Incidintially in the case of vec schools-if the 14 hours is not available in your school you must be offered the balance in another school in the scheme or in another scheme up to 30 miles from where you live

Parnell said:
It may be of interest for you to realise that the CID you are offered as of right after you have been employed for 4 years in one school/vec scheme,will be for a number of hours of not less than what you were contracted in year 4.this is very important-so if you hd 14 hours in year 4 you are entitled to be offered 14 or more in your CID. Incidintially in the case of vec schools-if the 14 hours is not available in your school you must be offered the balance in another school in the scheme or in another scheme up to 30 miles from where you live

ok...having taught in a VEC college (in the post leaving cert sector) for 6years we were told that teachers in the mainstream sector will receive their CID's but that the VEC will be looking at the PLC teachers contracts differently. I'm a bit disturbed by this and wonder should I get in contact with my union? The only thing i need to know is if there is an automatic right to a CID if you are working for more than 4 years ...

sincere thanks

That's exactly who you should contact. This is a legal minefield and exactly why those of us who are unionised pay our dues!!

brokeparent said:
That's exactly who you should contact. This is a legal minefield and exactly why those of us who are unionised pay our dues!!

I did contact them and they asked if I wanted to appeal. If I appael i'm sure it'll have an effect on my career though ...I mean won't I be seen as a trouble maker?

Judybaby73 said:
I did contact them and they asked if I wanted to appeal. If I appael i'm sure it'll have an effect on my career though ...I mean won't I be seen as a trouble maker?

So what,someone has to stick their head above the parapet !.

thewatcher said:
So what,someone has to stick their head above the parapet !.

Yeah ...someone ....just not me. I'm not brave enough and erm.....don't want to shoot myself in the foot promotion wise. If you are seen to be causing trouble then forget special duties posts etc! Rhetoric versus reality here!

I am teaching 6 years and I received a letter from my employer (VEC) which also contained two copies of my contract. It is called a "Fixed term contract for specific purpose". Can anyone tell me what this is and if it is a contract of indefinite duration (CID). I was expecting a CID but am unsure if this is it. I am afraid to sign it. I know I sound stupid but I really haven't a clue. Any help/advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jenny

I am told that a CID confers equal rights as those conferred upon a permanent teacher.

Is this correct?

Is a CID a permanent contract, regardless of number of hours?

Cid's have the exact same rights and entitlements as permanent teachers and if you feel you are entitled to a CID and are not being offered one you should contact your Union and do something about it. If you want security of tenure in your job do not be shy to assert your rights. You are either entitled or you are not and it is well worth the effort to fight for your CID.

Previously posted this on CID here before.

"Held a CID (after four years working in same sec school). Following year school announced closure. shocking etc but I felt I was ok as of my wonderful CID. However union pointed out CID only gives you full entitlements after you've held it for 9 years.

At the time informed CIDs introduced for protection of workers as many teachers held praying for their contact year after year not knowing how many, if any hours one would have. You were at the mercy of the principal or BOM.

CID only mean you had a new title and gauranteed you the same number of hours you had worked in the fourth year in the school for as long as you remained.

Recently I heard of a teacher who on the fourth year her dept. pay was cut to 9 hours and school paid for 13 hours. Her CID then only held for 9 hours. "

If you've worked for four years in the same school, your entitled to be awarded a CID in the fifth year contact (Sept). The CID dies if you leave that school.

Previously posted this on CID here before.

"
If you've worked for four years in the same school, your entitled to be awarded a CID in the fifth year contact (Sept). .

This is not necessarily so. You are only entitled to a CID in the fifth year if the school has the hours available to slot you in. With the reduction in the pupil teacher ratios in September 2009 very few schools will have the hours to accomodate awarding a CID.

Jasonr I won't agrue with you but three years ago, it was vital to have full hours DES paid in your fourth contact as that would mean you were automatically gauranteed to have those hours for your fifth and future contacts in that school. If what your saying is true about school having the hours available to slot you in, then why have CID's, I as a teacher would be back to being depended on principal/BOM for my hours. The idea of CID's is to offer you the same hours every year, you gain stability and security for the future.

As for pupil/teacher ratios having an effect, I would see it as part-time teacherwill have less hours teaching and so their CID contracts will be for less hours. I haven't heard a sniff anywhere that CID's will be scrapped etc.

As it happened school didn't close but it opened alot of people's eyes............

There is a difference in permanent hours and part-time hours. A school can only fill up to its permanent allocation. the part-time hours can be used for RPT contracts. Sandals we are both saying the same thing really. To answer your question why have CIDs - this was to protect the teacher employed using the school's part-time hours and once that teacher was given its 5th successive year contract it should become a CID i.e. safeguarding their employment. In turn if the school is over its allocation of permanent teachers the CID will then be paid from the part-time allocation resulting in these hours now being utilised and no longer available to employ another RPT contract. The CID will then fill the next permanent position in the school as it arises( resignation, retirment of a permanent teacher)

Back