Interviewer rang current boss for reference!

shootingstar

My daughter had an interview this morning. The lady interviewing her asked her what would she (my daughter) think if she rang her current boss asking for a reference. To which my daughter replied "well i'm still currently working there so its not really a good idea".

3 hours later my daughters boss texts her "(co Name) just rang me looking for a reference, are u leaving?". She text straight back saying no she was just looking for additional hours to top up her money. :eek:

Surely this isnt acceptable. Can one do this? Daughter is nervous about her next evening at work.

best if she is she is honest with her current job, maybe they will address what the issues are no for why she is leaving,, if they can..

I think that's disgraceful behaviour.

Even if offered the new job, I think your daughter should think twice about working for an employer who operates such sharp practices.

I think that's disgraceful behaviour.

Even if offered the new job, I think your daughter should think twice about working for an employer who operates such sharp practices.

exactly my sentiments, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole and I would also ring them and give them a piece of my mind for doing what they did. Pathetic behaviour

Normally I wouldn't provide the names of referees until such time as I have been actually offered the job.

Having said that, if your daughter specifically asked them not to contact her referees and they did then that's pretty poor form for the company and doesn't really bode well. I would write formally to the company in question stating that you are no longer interested in the job and exactly why.

I don't know what people are getting het-up over. It is not unusual for a prospective employer to ring the "old" employer regarding performance whether the person is working there or not.

I don't know what people are getting het-up over. It is not unusual for a prospective employer to ring the "old" employer regarding performance whether the person is working there or not.

Checking references isn't unusual but doing it against a candidates express wishes is wrong. No potential employer should contact your exisiting employer or other referees without your explicit permission. A candidate should be the one to tell their current employer that they are leaving, not another company.

Heard this happen so many times now. I would always advise to just put references on request on a cv.

Back