Timber Decking or Paving, Which do you recommend?

nad

Hi
In the process of tidying the back garden and am now at the stage of putting in some type of patio or decking, which would you recommend with regard to cost or durability or maintenance and lifespan even, and is rats a problem with decking or does it depend on whether the sides are properly sheeted,All replies appreciated

I love the idea and look of decking, however, a friend of mine has a large decking area to the rear of his house, after a shower it is lethal.
My 2 and 4 years olds are banned from it!
In dry spells it is beautiful but I will not be putting it down in my place.

With respect to patio slabs, they may not be everyones cup of tea but are in my opinion the safer and more durable option.

Last edited:
... With respect to patio slabs, they may not be everyones cup of tea but are in my opinion the safer and more durable option.
+1
... and far less maintenance IME. Just ensure you provide adequate drainage / run-off for rain-water.

have a large deck that one enters the back garden to, love it but does require deck paint every year, never seen a rat (thank god) or a weed. As its not off the house have no need to go near when wet. have lovely blue solar deck lights, looks deadly at night.

Also have a paving circle and stepping stones off the deck, yes no maintenance whatsoever but I do have two dandelions that keep appearing even after spraying and attacking with a knife.....

I thought you could get special non-slip decking (I think it has ridges). Has anybody any experience of that?

One of the things i like about decking is that you get a railing around it, which is a feature you don't get with a patio. I had it in mind to get a deck for this very (railing) reason, although it's a good few years off the way dosh is at the moment. Still, this thread is very interesting!

I don't have either, but think decking will date...i.e. David McWilliams references to The Decklanders of the celtic tiger era

have a large deck that one enters the back garden to, love it but does require deck paint every year, never seen a rat (thank god) or a weed. As its not off the house have no need to go near when wet. have lovely blue solar deck lights, looks deadly at night.

Also have a paving circle and stepping stones off the deck, yes no maintenance whatsoever but I do have two dandelions that keep appearing even after spraying and attacking with a knife.....

Mix up some building sand & cement and top up the spots where the persistant weeds come through - the rain will set it .

Last edited:
I thought you could get special non-slip decking (I think it has ridges). Has anybody any experience of that?

One of the things i like about decking is that you get a railing around it, which is a feature you don't get with a patio. I had it in mind to get a deck for this very (railing) reason, although it's a good few years off the way dosh is at the moment. Still, this thread is very interesting!

My friend has the ridged type & knowing her she spent top bucks on it , can still be slippy when wet unfortunately .

For practicality choose slabs but decking is much more attractive. I chose decking and no problem with rats, slippiness or moss and only got cleaned once in 10 years!

We replaced our patio with decking and I wish we hadn't. I have fallen numerous times on it. One day I was just walking across it to the back door, key ready, next minute I was on the flat of my back! There are a lot of trees around us so the deck gets quite mossy - even with regular powerwashing. I'd go for paving if I were you!

Back